What Are You Looking Forward To @ The 2014 Singapore Toy, Games & Comic-Con? #STGCC


With barely 2 weeks left until the launch of the 2014 Singapore Toy Games & Comic Con on the weekend of September 6th to 7th (also the start of the school holidays) where the floodgates open to the annual event in the Convention Center of Marina Bay Sands, TOYSREVIL spoke to a select group of friends (both online and in personal, fhanks) and asked them a specific set of questions, for folks to have a idea of what non-practising-artist attendees think of the show!

Folks roped in for this round are the following awesome people:

- Angeline K. (22), Student, Fan-site blogger.

- Singapore-based comicbook collector Chew Hwee Leong (35), Warehouse assistant.

- (Currently) Hong Kong-based, Singaporean Winston Leong (35), Web Designer (IG @winzleong).

- Yeo Hon Beng (40), Freelance Theatre practitioner, Associate Artistic Director of Little Red Shop, and Cat Whisperer in Detention Barracks.

- Singapore-based copywriter-by-day, split-personality costume-maniac by night, the immortal Victoria Ng AKA Luel (Whom I asked her age for - I need to be punished ;p)

- Jakarta, Indonesia-based hardcore toy-collecting fiend and toy-maker DavidTheKiller (@davidthekiller - who also chose not to reveal his age ;p)



TOYSREVIL: What are you most looking forward to buy in STGCC? Do you intend to "spend a bomb" or "shop sparingly"? Do yo normally spend at conventions? Why or Why not?
"Baby Horns II / Tau Pok King are two confirms. Interested to see what else Mighty Jaxx will be selling other than what's (been) published. I will set aside some kind of budget (which will hopefully be split between STGCC & TTF) which I'd consider to be a bomb... I only usually attend TTF yearly so this year STGCC is a new thing for me. I normally get friends to get stuff from STGCC if there are any items I know I can only get from the convention. Yes I do spend at conventions (TTF mostly) because I actually love being able to see and check the items I am getting!" - shared Winston Leong.

"Minty Mao (I name them in my own mind) produced between FLABSLAB and Mighty Jaxx. Independent works from homies, Quiccs, Shon Chen, Banana Virus and K13. Am hopeful to purchase Daniel Yu's Yeodah based on my artwork if its ready by the fair. I spread my purchases throughout the year, not specifically during conventions. Good works from various artists spawned as and when, any time of the year consistently." - shared Yeo Hon Beng
"I always set a budget for myself, but.. I always get carried away & end up overspending - the key is whether by a lot or just a little. But considering that I'm rather broke this year, I don't think I have a lot of margin to overspend..

To be really, brutally honest, I'm really not superbly looking forward to anything this year? None of the guests really stand out to me & there's no one that I'm excitedly happy about their coming. I scanned through the TRE articles & looked through the STGCC websites for the new stuff & exclusives ..and well, the only thing I really wanna get is an Apo Frog. Those fellas for cuuute! There's a coupl'a other things that pique my interest, but their price tags are a little too heavy for me to handle.

I suppose, this year, I wanna be more careful with my spending. I'll probably spend more time in the Artist Alley carefully looking through what they have to offer, since none of the bigger booth people really stand out to me. (This is kinda unrelated, but I still somewhat regret not having enough money to get the Fluffy House stuff last year. Those toys were cute & I really wanted them, but after accidentally buying a few unnecessary things, I just simply didn't have enough budget for them So, this year, I'll definitely make sure to check them out!)" - shared Angeline K.
"I am looking forward to purchasing artwork from whoever is willing to sell and as a hobby that is never cheap, I do spend sparingly going for the biggest bang for my limited funds. And the convention is the biggest gathering for established and yet to be discovered artists. So even if I can get the artist's work Via the internet, it feels better to shake his or her hand as I get it." - shared Chew Hwee Leong.

"In the beginning, it is that Joker Bank Robber 2.0 from Hot Toys that I (had) want the most, but with the lottery and my limitation of baggage, (I) decided to find other way (I am secured to own it btw lol), but as of now, I (am not looking) for anything specific, but Kookie No Good from Scott Tolleson is always on my mind lol. No specific budget (set aside), but hopefully I won't shop much, not much space to display lol" - shared DavidTheKiller.

"I sparingly attend pop or subculture events of any kind nowadays, so STGCC is definitely a big deal for me (especially since it's just about the closest thing we have to a Western con in Singapore). It's where I reconnect with friends, discover new art and buy more loot!

A particular hobby of mine that comes out strongly during STGCC is print collecting! I generally spend about $200SGD on prints; one of my con must-visit booths is Imaginary Friends Studio - I adore Stanley Lau's art and STGCC is when I find new additions to my collection of his works. STGCC is also the best place to check out new upcoming artists or rub shoulders with big names in the industry.Over the years I've had the privilege of meeting Gail Simone, Mark Brooks, Mark Torres, Lenil Yu, Carlo Pagulayan, Ardian Syaf, Michael Jason Paz, Andie Tong, Shawn Yap and many others." - shared Victoria Ng.

TOYSREVIL: Who are you most looking forward to meet at STGCC? And what would you intend to do with him/her? Do you usually queue up for autographs? Why or Why not?
"No Doubt, Frank Kozik. He's like the master in designer toys and for sure Scott Tolleson, for me, he's one of the best designer toys artists right now, and it is always great to see Aaron Woebots again after fun times with him when he's at Jakarta with us. Sure, I'll ask them for autographs and everything, but meeting them in person is always something great." - DavidTheKiller.

"Frank Kozik in his favourite denim jacket. Would love to meet his Bengals if only they are packed for his trip here. I am his art fan and collected his art books before the toys years. Only if there is a personal connection. I believe a toy or work is complete without any autographs. Its the interaction and memory of the moment that is precious, not because a signature adding value to the art or toy." - Yeo Hong Beng.
"This year I'll be reprising my role as a booth helper, and I'm definitely looking forward to meeting David Mack and Philip Tan. While I don't usually have time to queue for autographs, as a booth helper I get to play a more intimate role in helping the artists at my booth so it makes up for it. Plus, sometimes you can awesome bonus loot like prints and sketches from the artists. The artists have amazing personalities and are supremely friendly so they're a blast to hang out and work with." - Victoria Ng.

"As said, I'm not really looking forward to any of the guests. As usual, being a designer toy fan, I would definitely be interested in Frank Kozik (but I'm always ambivalent about his stuff - I'm into cute stuff, so he has some of that, but he also has stuff that I don't agree with), but I'll probably get something just to support him. I always make it a point to support the designer toy artists that come. And Scott Tolleson, of course. But he seems to be moving away from his cute stuff? Hopefully there'll still be things that I can buy to support him at STGCC.

I usually always definitely make sure to queue up for autographs with the designer toy artists who are invited that I like(?), but this year, unfortunately, I just might not? Anyway, I usually don't do much. If I know their work, I might make a request for them to draw a specific toy? But if not, I'll just let them draw whatever they feel like drawing." - Angeline K.
"I will be frank, (it's) more the mood, of like-minded people - we generally talk the same language, and as for guests, I know they are most likely tired. As for autograph(s), well yes, compared to the other cons our lines are not as intense, But we are close to a point. Hot toys is the example." - Chew Hwee Leong.

"Basically friends I've gotten to know through the years through TTF. It's nice to be able to chat! I get autographs yes but it really depends on how long queues are." -Winston Leong.

TOYSREVIL: How many years have you attended STGCC? And how have the changes been? Good or Bad? What would you want to see changed for this year's event?
"I've been attending STGCC since it's first convention at Suntec City. I've had the opportunity to see the convention from many different points of view thanks to the nature of my hobby as a Cosplayer and my previous professional jobs. From covering the event as an official member of the media to a local Tokusatsu group's event film crew member, from judging Cosplay Contests to running a Costume booth and helping out at an artist booth to just running around in costume.  I like to think no one has seen or experienced STGCC quite as well as I have.

It's had it's ups and downs and personally I think this year's line up has last year's beat hands down. One thing I'd love to see done better would definitely have to the panels. Perhaps it's not our convention culture to attend panels or perhaps the panel organisers don't know how to mix East attitudes and Western panels, but I'd love to see our panels be a bit more like the ones at SDCC." - Victoria Ng
"Since the first, and the door charge is the biggest change, but it does add some to the guest list. So as to if it is good, it's fifty / fifty. As to what I would change; maybe some Asian artist, Japanese manga, Anime, but we have AFA for that, but that another subject … I personally feel, I liked it better at Suntec Conference halls, (1) purely we have more open space and freedom outside, and (2) it's just the more accessible location and overall cheaper for everyone concerned." -Chew Hwee Leong.

"Been attending STGCC since 2009.. Which makes it 4 years. I would've attended all the years had the 2008 edition not been so low-profile. (I only knew about it AFTER it was over. Seriously? -.-)" - Angeline K.
"I don't think I remember how many years, but I've been attending STGCC since Andrew Bell and Mori Chack (Gloomy Bear) are the guest artists. It become my tradition every year to come, Flab Slab is always been one of the reasons for me to love coming back as well, this year only few of us from Brotherhood of Toys (Indonesia) will be attending STGCC, but hopefully next year we are returning with more armies LOL.

Nothing changed much for STGCC, the VIP (ticket) price is getting too pricey! I guess the great thing is, they keep bringing more guest artists and mostly different ones, but I am hoping (they would) invite sofubi designer toys artists like Mutant Vinyl Hardcore and Paul Kaiju in the future." - DavidTheKiller.

"Only started attending last year as I open up and made more friends into the production, creation and collection. Toy collection used to be a very quiet secret, reading your blog, avoiding the conventions to curb any insane retail therapy.

Think the scale has been expanding with higher attendence. Would love to see 'live' sculpting and customization competition. Some interesting local collaboration with the international artists, to create exclusive must haves for the world to drool for. Charity auctions." - Yeo Hon Beng

"First year I'm coming back home for this event and am looking forward! I am hoping it's not just gonna all be comics stuff but a good mix of designer / art toys as well..." - Winston Leong.

(Custom 3" tall blind box pieces from Sekure D)
"Anyway, I digress, as usual. I'm still not digging the entrance fee, cause I'm a cheapo, but well, I guess, hopefully it goes towards Reed not charging the Artist Alley people so much? (as if) STGCC 2009 will still always & forever be my glory year (until some future edition does something to shake it up?) cause there were so many amazing artists/guests & booths featured.. Maybe because I'm such an Uglydoll fangirl, & without David Horvath there, maybe that's why STGCC isn't always super amazing every year after that for me?

Okay, so I'll admit that right now, I'm a little spaced out from everything else in life & can't quite remember what was good & what was bad about previous editions. But I do always wish there was more space in between the aisles? It definitely gets frustrating when you're stuck in a crowd of slow moving people when you're tryna rush to some event at some booth at a specific time!!

But other than that, I can't really comment on other stuff, because my mind is always set on the toy stuff at the convention. Oh, but I hope they post the floor plan before the convention itself. Yo, I'm kiasu, man. I wanna know which booth is where so that I can beeline to my favourite booth first. Then, yeah, I'll slowly walk around the con after that. But dude, BEELINE. So, Reed Exhbitions, if you're reading this, please post your floorplan (with legend), so that I know where each booth is & be able to head to the booths I wanna get to first. (Wow, sudden burst of opinion)"
- added Angeline K.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK