Popcon Asia 2014 Wrap-Up Q&A


The third edition of the annual Popcon Asia 2014 had ended the weekend before (Sept 19-21), and I wrap up TOYSREVIL's coverage of the event with a round of Q&As with folks who were at the 3-day show in Jakarta!

Our distinguished panel include Singapore-based comicbook illustrator Noval N. Hernawan, Singapore-based The Philippines customizer Carlo Andrada Cacho AKA "Wetworks", from Thailand Napat Phromphruk (who exhibited under the MAFIA Factory banner), Bandung-based toy designer Marine Ramdhani from My Tummy Toys, David The Killer from Jakarta, and last but not least Invited Popcon Artist Nakanari of MaiHiro!


(Pics from Gerdi Wirata Kusuma / Soffie Rosdiana/Dicky Aryo Aditomo with Noval - Pics Via)


TOYSREVIL: What were you in Popcon Asia 2014 for/as? Is this your first time?
NOVAL HERNAWAN: Invited artist. Yes this is my first time.

CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: I'm an exhibitor under Toy Kultur booth, this is my first time.

NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: It was (of) two positions for us. The first one (was) as a supplier for POPPO : BABY CE x POPCON Convention Exclusive Toy, and an exhibitor for MAFIA FACTORY booth with the first time of CE Toy sell in Indonesia. This was our first time over there, too.

MARINE RAMDHANI: Yes this is my first time as an artist involved in PopCon.

NAKANARI: Thanks Grace Kusnadi and Joshua Artono (to have) invited me as Popcon Guest. (It was such an) honor working with both them. I also (had) my own booth to exhibit my custom work. This is my first Indonesia trip and I only wanna to say how kick ass (an) experience I (had gotten) got. Super awesome and kick ass!

DAVIDTHEKILLER: I've been at Popcon since it's started few years ago, this year, it's quite interesting year for me, (as) finally I can introduce of my character, Dave aka DTK that I've been developed for a while now. I am not an exhibitor but I am around (mostly at Toy Kultur booth because iI got some collaboration with TK including tshirt and dunny called Dunny the Killer), also got some collaboration with Kendy Tan to design his upcoming character Boron as well and for sure with Marine making some Jouwe x DTK collaboration. In addition also, collaboration with Eric Thunderpanda and Castella Natalia too!

DavidTheKiller @ Popcon Asia 2014)


TOYSREVIL: And while I can lift the event description from the event website, I am interested to know "How would YOU describe Popcon Asia 2014 to be?"
NOVAL HERNAWAN: It's quite an awesome show for the relatively new event (this is their 3rd one) But I feel it's more appealing to locals rather than foreigners.

CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: Popcon Asia 2014 is a convention that showcase all about pop culture in Indonesia from gaming to toys, It is also a gathering of local as well as international artists that shares a common love for designer toys.

NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: It was our pleasure to be a part of POPCON this time. Moreover, we were excited with many interesting customized toy in the event.

DAVIDTHEKILLER: POPCON asia it's where we (had) to chance to display and show some (of) our design (in our term, characters in many medium like toys, tshirt, etc).

MARINE RAMDHANI: It's good to have a con in Indonesia, who also invited local and international toys artist, but on the other hand, for me, some people still didn't notice and understand what is PopCon, what is the goal … Is it a toysfair? Or some special event for designer toys?

NAKANARI: The most interesting for the pop(con event) is (that it was) very engaging with the fans, they show(ed) lots interest and lots (of) good interaction with artists and fans, (with the) most surprise seeing the local artists with their passions and (of) trying to build the toy culture. Very (much inspired) me.

(Napat at Popcon Asia 2014)


TOYSREVIL: How has your experience been in Popcon this time? Would you come back again next year?
NOVAL HERNAWAN: I might, but probably as (a) visitor.

CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: The experience is awesome, I met a lot of wonderful people, I can't wait for next year's Popcon.

NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: It was our good experience in POPCON among many good artist friends, and for sure that we will try our best to come back again and again ^^.

DAVIDTHEKILLER: Back? Yes, next year I should be prepared and hopefully I got my own booth with plenty stuff to offer! *fingercrossed*

MARINE RAMDHANI: It depends … I must see first what is the goal of this, is there any support for the local scene, or just wanna invited international artist to attract local artist to involved, what is the output that they want,

NAKANARI: That's for sure and I do recommend other company and artists to (attend), the event was really (organized and nice). They also (helped me non-stop) whatever I needed. (It was so) wonderful sharing my passion (with) local fans, all the feedback and interaction (made) me so happy.

(Marine at Popcon Asia 2014)


TOYSREVIL: What was your most favorite part of Popcon? And what was your least favorite?
NOVAL HERNAWAN: Meeting my childhood heroes, senior artist who drew my favourite local comics.

My least favourite: While I'm sitting comfortably in a bigger cooler and more comfortable booth, I see that they separate the artist alley in a different room. It's not really a wise thing to do IMHO. They treated as step children while they should be one of the attraction of the event.

CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: My favorite part is when people asked me to take pictures with them and telling me how they are inspired to start doing their own art, may it be sculpting or painting. Least favorite? nothing

NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: Our most favorite was the artist ale zone of course. Among artist friends, we can enjoy their customized arts & toys, which always be exclusive for us. On the other hand, our least favorite probably be the event hall, which is too small and quite narrow. I heard that they will move to other place next year, it means that POPCON next year should be better than this year, lol.

DAVIDTHEKILLER: Fave: meeting new and old friends, meet up some people who like our designs and saw some of my stuff sold out! Yay!

Least: the content of overall Popcon, some areas that it just not connect to the concept of Popcon itself, oh and the placement of some booths, some artist alleys are located outside and on the corner outside the main area, and I saw so many talented local people in there!

MARINE RAMDHANI: My fav part is finally I can meet some friends whom I (have) know from the internet....thats it!

NAKANARI: The favorite part is see how busy the event was, and them asking me lots question and trying (to) be part of the vinyl culture. The least favorite is not that much I can say because I am very happy for everything!

Pics from Wetworks for the Toy Kultur booth (FYI: Exclusives go online
@ toykultur.bigcartel.com on 1st Oct 9PM WIB).


TOYSREVIL: How is this year's Popcon, compared to other similar cons in other places/countries? (Could be STGCC, Bangkok ComicCon, Taipei Toy Festival, SDCC etc)
NOVAL HERNAWAN: Compare to STGCC this one is smaller, but more local flavour. Need to have more International guests to attract more fans.

CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: Popcon is on it's 3rd year so it's still young compared to other conventions, there are a few improvements that has to be made but I am happy that it is getting a lot of attention

NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: While compare with Bangkok Comic Con which we attended last July, POPCON allowed space for local designers more. It is always good to see exclusive toys rather than another ordinary commercial toys which we can buy it outside the event.

DAVIDTHEKILLER: Some of my collaboration design will be available via my tummy toys and Dunny The Killer figure will be sold more one-off in the future with me and Toy Kultur doing the custom, oh and yeah please do support our charity event on Dunny Dream series with brotherhoodoftoys and Boron design that also will be sold for charity via @kendytan

MARINE RAMDHANI: Honestly I've never been to Bangkok Toy Con, Taipei or SDCC, so maybe I just can compare to STGCC, PopCon is still interest(ing) for young artists to (be) involved in, but (does) the committee of the event know about this..? And is (there) any additional support from the committee for this "small move"…? I (feel) this important for them, (but) nah I don't think so, I think a bit same LOL

NAKANARI: Personally I (have) only attended TTF but the experience wasn't the same at all. I saw lots (of) great talents from Indonesia and they have strong passion and good heart. Popcorn (was) so much (more) engaging for fans to learn and experience to (have) met artists, so I enjoyed Popcon (very) much. I really enjoy(ed) the food and culture very much, so (I) highly recommend work(ing) with popcorn!

Nakanari customizing a MegaMunny and meeting Mari Pangestu;
The Minister of tourism and creative Economy / Pics from
@plastic_culture @davidthekiller)


TOYSREVIL: How is the comicbook illustration scene in Jakarta, Noval? Compared to, say, Singapore?
NOVAL HERNAWAN: I can say, more talent, but more selective buyers.
TOYSREVIL: How was the response to Norton in Popcon, Carlo?
CARLO CACHO AKA WETWORKS: The Norton Artist Series is very successful the gang is almost sold-out and some pieces are already taken even before the show started, people are constantly taking pictures and asking about the origin of each pieces, and I have to give a huge shout-out to Kendy Tan who let us borrow his glass display case, it certainly made the whole display elegant.

(Above: Custom Nortons display at Popcon Asia.


TOYSREVIL: Napat, how was the response to CE and BabyCE?
"NAPAT PHROMPHRUK: We heard from the POPCON organizer that the result of POPPO : BABY CE x POPCON is good. They said that people not only like to buy it, but also wear it around the event. some of them take photo of the BABY CE posted on facebook and IG. So, I may say that BABY CE got very warm welcome from the event, and also the BUDDY CE DIY which we brought for sell in the booth. Beside some giveaway for artist friends, the rest was sold out before the end of the show."
TOYSREVIL: How is the "art toy" scene like in Jakarta, compared to Bandung, Marine?
MARINE RAMDHANI: In Bandung all the guys like designer, collector (toys), and all the have some place (where they) can hang out together, its more like a hub … ok now online it's important but, off line places like studio, shop or gallery, (it is so much) more easier to communicate, and of course this comes a long with the city culture… not like in Jakarta all the guys who (are) involved in the Designer toys scene is more separated. Maybe now there's no place (where they) can hang out together (to) chill and talk, that is the problem I think.
TOYSREVIL: How has the experience been for you thus far, Nakanari? Is this your first time to this part of our world?
NAKANARI: this event totally flip(ped) me out (with being able to) see how much local artists (are) trying to be a part of the toys community … they are fresh and talented Grace and Joshua really took care (of) me since day one.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK