MARVEL @ San Diego Comic-Con 2019
(Above image by @slashfilm)
One of the biggest, if not THE BIGGEST panel(s) to be had at San Diego Comic Con 2019 (18-21 July) this year, has to be the MARVEL panel at the fabled "Hall H", where "Phase 4" was revealed!
Hosted by Jessica Chobot, Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige and surprise panelists provide an inside look at the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe, with their slate of projects revealed (for film and streaming on Disney+), along with show logos, and introduction/announcements of filmmakers and cast!
Featured above the logos, while I'll jump into individual shows proper on POPCORNX! Meanwhile, I just wanted to say that I had wanted to so much cheers for the folks who made the MCU films, that were introduced at 'Hall H', in the intro video below...~!
...OR, JUST WATCH THR HIGHLIGHTS!
The MARVEL presentation at 'Hall H' was essentially of a "introductory" and announcement format, with everyone standing (not seated behind a table) on stage, within their allocated scheduled time.
The film/tv projects for PHASE FOUR were separated by Kevin Feige's introductory speeches and some even saw video clips screened - none of which has been shown online as yet (Hopefully soon we'll see Marvel releasing them on youtube post-SDCC). This was what happen been presented (I've transcribed as best the video recordings of the panel).
Kevin Feige showcases the folks behind the making of Marvel films, and as well announces Avengers:Endgame surpassing Avatar to become the highest-grossing film ever, which Feige then graciously say will yet be surpassed when Cameron next releases his new film.
THE ETERNALS (Premieres November 6/2020).
- Director Chloe Zhao was introduced, and she spoke about her desire to make a Marvel film.
- Actors (Characters) were introduced:
Richard Madden as "Ikaris".
Kumail Nanjiani as "Kingo".
Lauren Ridloff as "Makkari".
Brian Tyree Henry as "Phastos".
Salma Hayek as "Ajak" (Leader of The Eternals).
Lia McHugh as "Sprite".
Don Lee as "Gilgamesh".
And last but not least: Angelina Jolie as "Thena".
The characters were described as immortal aliens (sent here by The Celestial to protect humanity against The Deviants) characters who have roamed the world for the past 35,000 years.
Summer 2020 on Disney Plus, with THE FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER.
- Actors Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan were introduced on stage. They reprise their roles from the MCU on streaming TV.
- A clip was screened.
- Events takes place post-Endgame.
The first film releasing February 12/2020, is SHANG-CHI and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
- "The Mandarin" will be played by Tony Leung.
- Awkwafina will star.
- Director Destin Daniel Cretton was introduced, and he spoke about his heritage and how he appreciated Marvel providing diversityxxxx.
- Harbin-born Canadian actor Simu Liu - who plays "Shang-Chi" was introduced on stage, where he introduced himself in Mandarin! He subsequently paid homage to his parents and made fun of typical Asian stereotype.
WANDAVISION (IMDb) premieres Spring 2021 on Disney Plus.
- Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were introduced on stage.
- The show appears after "Avengers: Endgame", where Bettany's "The Vision" had died prior in "Avengers: Infinity War".
- A clip was screened.
- Teyonah Parris was introduced on stage. She will play an adult "Monica Rambeau" (The character first appeared as a child in "Captain Marvel").
- The events of WandaVision will tie into another Marvel movie, "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness".
LOKI on Disney Plus in Spring 2021.
- The Loki we see in the series came straight from the first Avengers movie, as seen in Endgame, when he got a hold of the Tesseract and disappeared into it.
- Actor Tom Hiddleston was introduced on stage.
"Doctor Strange 2" AKA "DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS" (Premieres May 7/2021).
- Introduces director Scott Derrickson.
- Benedict Cumberbatch was introduced on stage.
- Marvel is going for a "horror"-angle ("twist of horror" as mentioned) in this film.
- Attempts to "destroy" Dr Strange in the film.
- Elizabeth Olsen as "Scarlet Witch" will appear in the film.
- The events of "WandaVision" will reflect into this film.
"WHAT IF" will be an animated series on Disney Plus in Summer 2021.
- Original Actors from the love action films will voice their animated character.
- "The Watcher" will be voiced by Jeffrey Wright.
HAWKEYE on Disney Plus in Fall 2021.
- Jeremy Renner is introduced on stage.
- He will reprise his role from the MCU.
- A clip was screened, where "Kate Bishop" was introduced.
- The series will delve into his time as "Ronin", seen in "Avengers: Endgame".
"THOR LOVE AND THUNDER (May 11/2021)
- Director Taika Waititi, actor Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Teresa Thompson (Valkyrie) were introduced on stage.
- Teresa alluded to her being the "King" of New Asgard, needing to find her "Queen", inaugurating Marvel Comics' first LGBTQ superhero on the silver screen.
- New Asgard will become "a refuge to anyone".
- Natalie Portman is announced and introduced to play "Lady Thor".
Forget all the unfortunate reports of "Jane Foster" unhappy with Marvel, and just focus on the screams of fans when Portman was introduced LOL. Interestingly Thor is in this 4th film, has he returned from Space?
May 1st, 2020 will see the premiere of BLACK WIDOW (IMDb).
- Director Cate Shortland and cast were introduced on stage.
- Actors introduced on stage:
David Harbour as "Alexei Shostakov" (AKA The "Red Guardian").
Florence Pugh as "Yelena" (Sister figure to Natasha).
O-T Fagbenle as "Mason" (The Fixer).
Rachel Weisz as "Melina"
Scarlett Johansson as "Natasha Romanova".
- A clip was screened.
- In the comic books, "Red Guardian" is the Russian equivalent of "Captain America", which David Harbour wore a t-shirt of underneath his jacket, and when asked if Cao was his :favourite" character", he answered (paraphrasing) "it is complicated".
Comicbook.com speculated Rachel Weisz’s character may be "Melina Vostokoff", the armor-clad villain known as "-Iron Maiden".
Kevin Feige also mentioned in passing "Black Panther 2", "Guardians of the Galaxy 3", "Captain Marvel 2", "Fantastic Four", and the word "mutant" was evoked.
Two-time Academy Award winner Mahershala Ali was introduced, where he was made to wear a cap with the words "BLADE" on it. The crowd goes wild.