ajee's skullskin from the new unnamed bonustoyz label

Reeno from Bonustoyz dropped these collection of intriguing prototype snapshots (a few days back), for an upcoming new toy figure designed by French-artist; AJEE - titled: SKULLSKIN!

standing at 11"-ers tall, SkullSkin will make her debut in 2008, under a new as-yet-named label to be set-up by Bonustoyz; featuring new up-and-coming non-Graffiti artists (Bonustoyz will still stay a Graffiti Artist-label) ... i caught up with her creator AJEE and had a quick chat about the origin and story of SKULLSKIN /// CLICK HERE TO READ

TOYSREVIL: who is Skullskin? what is her story?

AJEE: SkullSkin is a sweet hot girl who's hidding behind a skull helmet. A helmet has to provide protection but that skull gives her the power to be someone else. It's a protection and also a mask ... There's something about the "Donkeyskin" story that intrigued me. She's stained by nature's blood . Who did that, she or he? "Women" and "Death" are symbolic themes of 19th & 20th century European Art; which inspires me.

TRE: you mentioned on your website that the SkullSkin proto first appeared in DotDotDash - was she designed specifically for DDD? or was the character created before then?

AJEE: The first prototype published in DotDotDash was created earlier. The editor of "Die Gestalten Verlag" liked it and decided to add it in the book. But I was not satisfied with that prototype, I wanted to sculpt it again.


AJEE: The SkullSkin character was born on a train when I was enroute for the TagTheSystem ParisStation show in 2005. Before I was working on the sweet girl and the skull for a long time on canvases and for that project I had to manage with a long format (the train) and I wondered where to put the skull, when it was settled on her head to become a helmet.


TRE: creation-in-motion! how do you feel about having Skullskin made into an actual toy, together with the folks from Bonustoyz?

AJEE: I'm really happy to bring my character to life. It's not a BonusToyz edition because I'm not a graffiti artist. I work with Reeno who is my producer and Mist supports me because he really likes my toy even if he won't be part of that label. I'm the first artist on that non-graffiti artist label which hasn't gotten a name for now.


TRE: yes, Reeno had mentioned about the new label he was setting up, apart from Bonustoyz (which is dedicated Graffitti-artists) - sounds exciting indeed! loving the protos i've been seeing so far ... she reminds me of a strong, independent warrior-woman with an attitude; found in the pages of Heavy Metal magazine/comics (IMHO) strutting the battlefield catwalk, IMHO - looking forward to see her in color, Ajee! ... in closing, could you share with my readers, Who Is AJEE?

AJEE: Thank you for your kind words. Well, I'm a french artist, illustrator, painter and sculptor. I also design cloths as micro collections for events or collabs such as women jean jackets painted on the back by Mist and sold at Colette. I'd like to extend that project moreover with other artists. I'm also currently working with Kid Robot on a Dunny for the French Serie coming out in 2008.

Check out my website and leave your comments : www.ajee.fr {additional images via]

- also peep AJEE's MySpace
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK