brian flynn @ the vader project

TOYSREVIL: what was the genesis/inspiration for the custom? what's the theme?

BRIAN FLYNN: I wanted to see if I could give the helmet a couple different views and personalities. You get a completely different read from the front, back or the side. I wanted to make it a bit of a bird helmet with the eyes on the side and beak in the center from the front, but with the giant mouth opening up for Vader himself below. I pulled back and made Vader himself fairly serious and straightforward, a balance between the wacky outside with a more stoic inside.

TRE: are you a fan of Star Wars? are you an avid SW-collector?

B.FLYNN: From when I was a kid. It was one of my first obsessions as a kid. I was convinced that I was going to grow up and marry Princess Leia. (I was seven.) Needless to say that did not work out, as Ms. Fisher has not shown up at my door yet.

Do I collect? I have a complete collection of the original 70s-80s Star Wars figures, all three telescoping sabers, but no vinyl cape Jawa. I need a Turkish Blue Star if anyone has an extra.

TRE: are you for the Rebellion? or a proud citizen of the Empire?

B.FLYNN: I am down with the rebels. I want the orange jumpsuit and an X-wing.

TRE: if you were a Star Wars character, who would you (wanna) be?

B.FLYNN: As a kid, I always thought I would be Luke (Tattooine era - episode 4), I didn't much care for him later as he got too goody-goody. I thought Han in Hoth with the blue jacket was pretty cool too. One of those two I suppose. Or a Probot. Probots are cool. I could be a Probot.

TRE: If you were a Sith Lord, what would be your nick / Sith Lord-name?

BRIAN FLYNN: This should be a really funny answer, but I can't come up with one fast enough. Can I use my Spice Girl name?

TOYSREVIL: thanks and cheers for all the trouble, Brian!


- who is Brian Flynn
- what is The Vader Project

Brian Flynn is half of a husband and wife team, as well as the principals at Hybrid Design in San Francisco, Ca. In addition to Hybrid Design, Brian is half of Super7 Media, which includes Super7 Magazine, Super7 store in San Francisco, and Super7 toys. [via]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK