shawnimals @ the vader project


TOYSREVIL: what was the genesis/inspiration for your "Haunted Vader Helmet" theme and custom?

SHAWN.S: To be honest, I was totally intimidated when the thing showed up. I couldn't for the life of my figure out what would be good to do because it was Darth f_cking Vader! How could it be anything else? I finally got past that through sketches, and after trying three different ideas, I finally came to the 'haunted' theme. I kept thinking back to after Vader dies, how he comes back as a ghost like Obi Wan and Yoda, and then took it from there. Like now that Vader's gone, his helmet is haunted. I've been really trying to pair down my customs lately to let the drawings / characters come through.


TRE: are you a fan of Star Wars? and are you an avid SW-collector?

SHAWN.S: Absolutely a fan, though I'm not a collector. I'm into the general story, especially the heroic journey idea, especially since my background is in videogames and what not. Looking back, too, I think a lot of the narratives that I'm working on (Ninjatown, Totally Radish, etc) are as much influenced by the intricate and creative world behind Star Wars as they are by video games, comic books and the likes.

TRE: are you a supporter of the Rebellion? or a proud lackey of the Empire?

SHAWN.S: I'd have to say Rebellion. Always go with the underdog.

TRE: if you were a Star Wars character, who would you (wanna) be?

SHAWN.S: Slave Leia's personal assistant. No, seriously ... I guess Chewbacca even though you know he stinks like a sasquatch. Or maybe Chewbacca's son from the Christmas special.


TRE: if you were a Sith Lord, what would be your mighty Sith Lord-name?

SHAWN.S: Darth Beardious, and I would hide my light saber in my beard, and dress like a hobo. I totally have to sketch this now.

TOYSREVIL: nay the force be with you, Shawn and mondo-thanks for the trouble!

- peep Haunted Vader Helmet customs @ Shanimal's flickr-stream [images via]
- who are Shawnimals
- Shawnimals' blog
- what is The Vader Project

Shawnimals was started in 2001 by Shawn Smith and Jen Brody with one simple goal – to bring people together by way of strange yet cute artist-made stuffed creatures and other fun items. It's what Shawnimals was founded on, and what it continues to strive for today. Now Ninjatown, Totally Radish and countless other ideas, stories, art, products, and more fill the Shawnimaland world.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK