2008-WRAP-UP WITH TRE: DOKTOR A

TOYSREVIL: Please introduce yourselves the TRE-readers? Who you are and what you do? (And if they don't, then tis my fault for not posting about you often enough!)

DOKTOR A: I am an artist living and working in the UK. My most well known work is mostly in a Victorian Futurism vein. Vintage styled robots and whathaveyou.

TOYSREVIL: How has 2008 been to you, kind sir?

DOKTOR A: Quite good really, but very hard work. I feel I have been building on previous years work and reaching a larger audience at last. I have done a lot of shows this year. It's great to be invited by so many galleries to participate but I think I bit off more than i could chew to be honest. I have been running flat out and as a consequence my commissions list has taken a bit of a back seat. Sorry everyone who is waiting for a piece, I will get around to you, promise.


[CLICK THRU FOR MORE]

DOKTOR A: I feel this year I have got a foot on the bottom rung of the art ladder so to speak. And the next few years, with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work, will be a slow climb up. People have noticed I am here this year. Now I have to hold their attention.

TOYSREVIL: I stand eviscerated by thy humbleness .... What was the Best toy you bought in 2008?

DOKTOR A: The ONLY toys I bought this year were some Scavengers from Kathie Olivas. They are splendid little pieces. The collaborative one (with Brandt Peters) from series two is my favorite..

TOYSREVIL: Are there any proof in those rumors of impending "Recession"? Is it affecting you in any way, or going to?

DOKTOR A: Oddly I am doing ok. The majority of my work sells in America so as the exchange rate changes and the Pound drops against the Dollar I do better out of it.. Not so good when I want to buy something of course ... I think collectors are being more picky with what they purchase though. So that means everything I make has to be so much better in order to entice someone to take it home.

TOYSREVIL: What would you consider to be a milestone you've achieved in 2008 thus far?

DOKTOR A: I think my solo show at Rivet in June was a high point. It was my first solo show where i felt I got a good balance of 2D and 3D works together.

RETROPOLIS
[RETROPOLIS @ Rivet]

DOKTOR A: And I am slowly moving towards making more sculpture pieces as opposed to toy customs. I feel the scratch built pieces are much purer representations of my work, no compromise needed to accommodate a toys form.

IGNACIOUS-LONGBOTTOM
["Ignatious Longbottom" for Noxious Fumes @ Rivet]

DOKTOR A: The release of the first Mechtorian toy is also great. Though they have been in development for so long now it seems a bit abstract that they are finally becoming available.

MECHTORIANS

TOYSREVIL: If you were given a choice to remember just one single memory for 2008 (with everything else wiped clean and forgotten thereafters) - What would that memory be? ... And what would you rather forget?

DOKTOR A: That would have to be the birth of my son Maximillian. The art is fun and all, but that's what I will remember from this year.

TOYSREVIL: A truly memorable one, I would insist. What are you looking forward to in 2009?

DOKTOR A: Hopefully I will have a little more time in 2009 to explore some ideas I have been nursing for a while now. More sculpture work and more paintings from me too. The bulk of the Mechtorian toys should be released too, which will be exciting.

DOKTOR-A-MECHTORIANS
[Below pic seen @ New York Comic Con 2007 / pic courtesy of Benny of Tenacious Toys]
MECHTORIANS_NYCC

TOYSREVIL: What have you planned for the coming Christmas? And where will you be (and be doing) at the stroke of midnight 2009?

DOKTOR A: I will be at home with my family for Yule (we dont do Xmas). And will probably be asleep at midnight 2009.. A three week old baby will do that to you..


DOKTOR A @ SpookyPop / Blog / Mechtorians.com / Welcome To Retropolis / Doktor A on TRE
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK