Custom-Feature: Xandarian Guard - Sketchbot Custom by J-ROO

CLICK THRU to see the custom process of "J-ROO" aka Justin Rudy of (Dynomight NYC) for his custom Sketchbot dubbed: "Xandarian Guard In G.I.D. Armor ", as well as the origins of the concept.

Completed for the recent "Sketchbot Custom Show" [event-blogged / tagged] on a Steve Talkowski designed 5 inch tall Sketchbot figure, Xandarian Guard can currently be purchased online via myplasticheart


TOYSREVIL: Tell us more about the custom character? What is the story behind your creation?

J-R00: The Xandarian Guards stand around three meters tall and have a very large green luminous eye. The armor that they wear has a very aged look about it and indicates they have been around for a very long time. These guardians were developed in Xandarian laboratories to be protectors of treasure and ancient magical relics.

With their glowing armor, the Xandarian Guards are also known to some as Phantom Giants. The eerie glow of their clubs and armor is a trademark characteristic to this particular breed. It is said that the armor glow can be seen from as far as a half mile away at night. This particular design feature was not an accident. It was a built in warning device to deter anyone from getting too close to areas that one should avoid.

The large green luminous milky eye, the only exposed part of the Xandarian Guard, is said to have paralyzing properties to it if one were to stare directly into the pupil. However, no one has really verified this rumor to be factual. This is probably due to the fact that no one has ever survived the attack from one of these massive mechanical beasts.


TOYSREVIL: How was the custom conceptualized?

J-R00: Right from the start I wanted to do something along the lines of Warhammer 40k or Rifts. That’s right, I wanted to take it back to the glory days when I rolled 2D20 like no other! (My RPG nerds know what’s up!)

The process was pretty basic. I sketched a few thumbnails out and then read up on how I should go about doing this particular painting style.



TOYSREVIL: What inspired it's creation?

J-R00The Sketchbot inspired the direction. The 3A toy WWRp Medic Bramble’s paint job was the inspiration for how I wanted to apply the direction. I wanted to emulate the wash style found on the Medic Bramble. (That is my favorite one out of the set!) It was an amazing and lengthy research experience for me. This piece had to have a little more planning involved to acquire the look just right. There was a lot of reading involved. Most of it was from model car, model airplane and miniature painting websites.



TOYSREVIL: Are you happy with the final result?

J-R00: Actually, yes! This is probably one of the best customs I have done to date. :) The results turned out amazing! I love the texture and depth this treatment added to the piece. I would actually like to try this style again. Maybe I will try it on one of my own releases that is coming up? ;)


TOYSREVIL: Yes, I've done this to you before in my previous interviews, but I'm all about pimpin' in 2010 ~ SO, in closing, please do share a few words about Who Justin Rudy is?

J-R00: Who am I? I often ask that question on a daily basis to my magic mirror. LOL!

(*Ahem.)

Hi everyone! My name is Justin Rudy. Or at least that’s what it said when I last checked the tag in my underwear. It’s either Justin or Calvin, I can never remember. TMI? ;P Most people refer to me as J-R00.

I’m a humble guy who bears many heads with many hats. (Figuratively speaking of course.) I’m a graphic designer, illustrator, game tester, toy creator (dynomightnyc.com) and collector. Most of my life has been doing other peoples art and licenses via the tediousness that is Production Design. I have many years of experience keeping off the radar while working in “The Biz”. But who wants to remain anonymous their whole life? Not I. So I come to you today with a name and a crazy mixed up style. Hopefully you will enjoy the things that I create. If not, I have a few Franklins here to buy your love. ;D

P.s. Big ups to Steve Talkowski for asking me to participate in this show! Thanks so much!


[The complete behind-the-scenes images can be found via Dynomightnyc.com]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK