The Origin and Creation of Sergey Safonov's Godot

With the full reveal of GODOT the toy (scheduled for a late-May 2010 release as a limited edition resin figure), I had asked his creator, Sergey Safonov how/what lead to the current "interpretation" of Godot (from the Samuel Beckett play, "Waiting For Godot"), with surprising answers:

SERGEY SAFONOV: Archiving today's interpretations of Godot was not an easy task. First was the story of a character who was obsessed with idea of (the) perfect look and finally found one. And, an interesting side-effect, that look opened every door in front of him ...

It's a strange mix of bird, aging man, elegance of fashion of early 20th century and a couple of secret ingredients. (The) character was designed in 2007. I did a fast watercolor of him in 2009 (shown-right) and decided to go forward and make a toy.

The project codename was "That look can open any door" and before starting with a toy I was cornered for giving him a proper name. And when I thought I was stuck, something clicked in my head — fedora, aging man, secret ingredient. Click. He is Godot, no one else.

GODOT-BANNER


SERGEY SAFONOV: I wasn't illustrating Beckett in any way not using his backstory. Godots name is just a cherry on top of loads of work on this character.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK