CLEA 2010 - CE Battle Artist Feature: Zylostudio from Thailand

ZYLOSTUDIO-CLEA

Today (Friday September 3rd) will see the launch of CLEA 2010 (Character & Licensing Expo Asia / www / tagged) in Bangkok, Thailand. And today we feature Sanya Lertprasertpakorn aka zylo. CLICK THRU to read, and see you all at CLEA!

Nursary Jaw 10 inch-01

What was the genesis / design inspiration / concept of your chosen CE-design submission?

ZYLO: An amazing creation of nature! I like to watch documentaries and found out there are many creatures, both animal & plant has amazing appearance or wired habit. For CE contest I just chose from one of my "interesting" lists and made it into a new character. A Jaw fish is what I choose this time, cos I think the CE head looks like something is opening its mouth.
CE-Nursary Jaw
What is your "Plan Of Battle"?

ZYLO : Do not have a plan yet, I still not know what I have to do in the event actually. But I have to team up with 1 international artist. So the first plan is…. get to know him quickly! And then everything will be easier when we work together as “friends”.
CE-Paint-NJ-42
What are your design influences (as an artist)? How do you engage a custom toy / your process of work? What is your preferred or signature style of customization?

ZYLO: As every artist, I like manga and animation…I liked to draw cartoons since I was a kid. Then many years ago I found “Pucca” spreading on the internet and I saw a bag with a “Tokidoki” design. I said “Wow! That’s cool!” - Then I made my own character set, 1st series “KidE” and then learnt how to make flash animation… who knows… a few years later, I quit my job and call myself a “Character Designer”.

Custom Toy is not my area of expertise…but you can find a lot of design toys on my desk!

My characters always have concept and background. It’s maybe different from others artist who let their pencil lead the way. I think of what is interesting and research about it. If you see me create a freaky alien without knowing what planet it came from… please be sure that planet has a name.
IMG_0351

What are you looking forward to do for CLEA? And for this event in Thailand?

ZYLO: I expect a lot for this event. This is the 1st time that this kind of event happen in Thailand. I hope they can drive people and business owners to aware of licensing business, intellectual property and character design in Thailand, and can introduce Thai works to Asia. So I already did what I want to do in this event… it is to join this CE Contest. Being one of finalist or not is not necessary for me because I’m sure we (Thai artists) did introduce ourselves to other countries.

[7 x images in slideshow above / Full-screen Viewing]
Share with us, who you are (name/nick)? And what's the next project people should look out for from you?

ZYLO: My Real Name is Sanya Lertprasertpakorn... but I call myself zylo. It has no meaning, the word was happen when I registered to hotmail when I was in an University (Man!! That’s many many years ago!) … and have to think of a special name which no one already use.

Zylostudio, founded in 2003, developed from my portfolio website, showing my works, TV spot, Motion Graphic and also the first character design, developed from the doodle rough sketch in the meeting room, “KidE”.

I used to work as an On-Air Promotion for MTV Thailand for more than 7 years, however, because of my obsession in character design and flash animation, one day in 2007, I decided to leave my job and turned myself to be a full time Character Designer. My intention is to develop myself to be a Thai character designer who creates the trend of using characters among both producers and consumers (teenagers). Moreover, I also wanted to be part of the wheel that drives and motivates Thai character design to success in international market.

You can check out my design @ www.zylostudio.com
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK