Toy-Review: Jinny Series Zero from Bitbots

JINNY-REVIEW-01
JINNY-REVIEW-02

TOY-STORY: "Jinny" is a series of mini vinyl figures from fledgling UK-based producer Bitbots (www.bitbots.co.uk). This is their first ever series produced, dubbed "Series Zero", and the set consists of 8 basic-figure designs, featuring skin-designs by 5 UK artists.

The figures come blind-boxed, with a display case consisting 12 boxes of randomly incepted 3" tall vinyl figurines. Currently you can purchase them single or case, as well as a DIY-blank edition via the Bitbots online store.

JINNY-REVIEW-03

TOY-STORY-CONTINUED: I had a chance to see (and review) these figures up close when Jats Gill - owner of Bitbots - popped by my humble abode not too long ago for a kind visit. Currently these figures are not retailed in Singapore (and neither had I samples to keep) but plans are afoot for further developments, which I am sure will delight a number of fans. Nevertheless this review is based on my memory and impressions of the figures - which we see predominantly One-Eye and Eyes showcased here.

JINNY-REVIEW-07
JINNY-REVIEW-04 JINNY-REVIEW-06

FIGURE & PRINT: The print is pretty clean and crisp, considering the multi-eyeballed design. As well the lines were clean for One-Eye. Featuring a matt-finsih to the touch with a slight sheen of gloss, this is a pretty decent effort for a first series, I must say!

ARTICULATION: Each figure possess three basic points of articulation - the swivel neck, and arms at the shoulder. While I am not wholly convinced of the "shape" or form of the figures (not particularly to my personal tastes, I must admit), the articulation provides it that edge to go beyond a display-only figurine, and into "playable" territory.

DIY: Currently there is a 3" DIY Edition available on their online store (linked above). Just wait till you guys get a load of the "larger scaled" DIY edition to come later in the year (currently only sneaks here tho). Not to mention the series of larger figures featuring notable designers … but of course, I have said too much too soon already … ;p

jinny-review JINNY-REVIEW-08
JINNY-REVIEW-09

WRAP-UP: I was glad Jats took the trouble to drop by, otherwise all I had to view thus far of the series was via online images and frankly, I was least than convinced with what I saw. The form seemed awkward, the designs uninspired (and no, not because of the lack of "big designer-names") and bordering on pedestrian, IMHO. But as an alternative to existing similar-scaled figures (within 3-inches tall), this could yet be an interesting series, again depending loads on skin-designs to heighten the form.

And from the developments I saw of what is to come from Bitbots (toy-wise), rest assured this is not a one-off series and that's it. You might be needing more shelf-space, if what they have in store / planned is any indication. The next series may well prove to be an eye-opener, and perhaps even send folks scrambling backwards to search for Series Zero, maybe? And I do not necessarily mean toys of similar sizes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK