TOY-REVIEW: Yes, I Do …. 30mething Toy from Jan Lamb x Crazysmiles

YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-01

The last thing I had expected to be purchasing, on Sunday morning, was a "toy figure". Much earlier in the day, I had visited my TCM doctor ("Traditional Chinese Medicine") and was waiting on for my mum's session when I ventured to To a Payoh (with my dad, of course) and visited Popular Bookshop, when I chance on this familiar figurine on the CD-shelves. I had seen the figure online before, and frankly was not too impressed with it. But seeing it in person, was a delight - especially in a bookstore that sold CDs and DVDs? And perhaps yes, I might have been starved for toys at that point, but I digress … There were two colorways available: An attractive hawt pink, and this all black with white-eyes version.

The allure of the color 'pink' faded fast for me when Kidrobot was rocking a lot of their exclusive colorways of other folks' designs in this hue, and as well Clutter has made a splashing comeback (and we all know about their penchant for pink) - so I stuck with my ultimate color of choice: BLACK.

YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-02

This is a "2-in-1" limited edition which comes with both a CD album and a toy figure designed by Jan Lamb (and apparently Michael Lau?). Limited to 9,999 pieces, the figure measures 9.5 cm x 9.5 cm in size, and comes in 6 colorways, all housed in an open-window box. YesAsia.com has it priced at US$29.49 (I bought it at slightly under SGD$37.00).

$37 for a set, where the CD might cost at least $18, and the toy costing around an average of $19? For the figure itself, it does not seem that bad (ironically for a "crazysmiles" stamp at the feet, it seems worthwhile) but then again it might be a chore to collect all 6 x colorways at a go? I am not a huge fan of Jan Lamb the recording artist, so it's a stretch for me anyways :p

YES-I-DO-SOMETHING-COLORWAYS
YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-03
YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-04

The figure is packaged together with Jan Lamb's 2009 CD-album: "Yes, I … do 30mething" (I've yet to listen to the album tho, and frankly there is no impetus to as tis the figure was what I was after in the first place), and the figure itself was housed in a plastic-molded tray, and firmly fixed in too!

The design iconology of the heart-shaped figure is replicated throughout the package too.

YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-05
YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-07 YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-08
YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-06

Featuring two points of articulation at the feets, with a molded body (does not feel like vinyl tho, more PVC maybe?) along with jpint-lines along the sides. The triple-eyes was a slight delight, with differing designs on either side, of a heart-shaped form, which fits firmly in hand - like a literal heart-in-hand? Nice!

What may not be immediately clear from these images (yes, I wished I had a better camera too) is the charming grin, which differs from either side. There is a nice 'puffy-cheek' grin sculpted on one end, which in turn made me smile -so that's a little triumph for this piece, IMHO.

All-in-all, this is a decent lil piece to own, and/or if you have spare change to pad up your quirky collection of retro/kitschy-pieces, but nothing epically a "need" to be had, IMHO. There's still that pink colored one down at To a Payoh Popular bookstore if you want to score one tho! LOL

YES_I-DO-SOMETHING-09

What also got my attention was the "Crazysmiles" logo at the base of the feet, with '30mething" printed on the other. Weirdly made the difference between a regular-piece, and a 'branded toy". Ah but for the power of a logo and brand name!

A little trivia for folks who might not be in the know of earlier urban vinyls: Jan Lamb has a nickname of "LambDog", and Michael Lau (which owns "Crazysmiles") has produced a variety of LambDog figurines thru the years. From street-wear, to soccer-fiends, to KISS homage figures. Crazysmiles also produced the Soft Hard figures for both Jan and his longtime partner Eric Knot, not too long ago in 2008.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK