SHERYO for 'Fang To Fur'

IMG_0336
IMG_0334 IMG_0335

The TOYSREVIL-serial feature showcasing the Singapore-artists represented in the FANG TO FUR show - continues with a focus on SHERYO - who is currently implanted into New York, USA (oh we miss her sooooo!) but I personally was elated to see her work on show her in support of her fellow Army of Snipers crewboss Angry Woebots. Of course I had to bug her for the lowdown on both the story of the artwork and what to expect from her in the near future!

IMG_0344 IMG_0342

TOYSREVIL: Is there a collective concept for the artwork you have up for 'Fang To Fur'? What is the story of the 8 canvases? What are they portraying?

SHERYO: Last December, I was involved with the Little Lotus project - an art volunteer trip at the Thai/Burma Border. I had a lot of fun teaching the children. Childrens' art have always inspired me so much, I like that it is so free and bold.

During the time, I had a lot of fun with crayons and basic shapes. This new body of work is a further exploration of shapes inspired by the childrens work at SAW and SKY BLUE school as well as my signature leprosy wobbly doinky lines.

(As for the story) They're my own fang/furry creatures from the tarot deck.

IMG_0343 IMG_0341
IMG_0339

TOYSREVIL: I've seen (and posted about the) WIP-snaps - are these techniques you have used before? I've always felt you were particularly strong conceptually with your linework...

SHERYO: I am especially meticulous with canvas pieces and I've been trying so hard to break away from that. I enjoy painting walls because they are so free and fun and it's never the same. with these canvases, I tried to find a midpoint.

TOYSREVIL: Is this technique something you have been working on? Or just a style you had wanted to portray for this collection?

SHERYO: Not really, it just came about. But I had a lot of fun working on these pieces!

IMG_0340
IMG_0337 IMG_0338

TOYSREVIL: What's Up Next with Sheryo?

- Painting a wall with Nychos x Flying Fortress x Yok x Never in Bushwick.
- Welling court project.
- branding and painting a restaurant in Cambodia, Phnom Penh.
- dropping some new tees with a Brooklyn label.
- just finished designing a skate deck for Lion City Skate Co.
- and painted a dirty pepperoni pizza to-go cheezeflys riding a bicycle in Brooklyn.


[For more Sheryo check out her Tumblrs @ Sheryo and her Sheryoart & her online shop!]
Fang To Fur exhibits thru June 17th @ FLABSLAB.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK