Living The 1/6 World: Looking Back at SHAMO


Search "SHAMO" for this figure, with "Akyio Tanaka" printed on the box for the name of this 1/6th figure, and he was released circa 2002 from Medicom Toy (in their "Cro-Magnon" line, thankfully not under their "Real Action Hero" line, or the internal figure-frame wold have been absolutely less than satisfactory), made by How2Work. Based on 'SHAMO' = "a Japanese action manga with a dark theme" [Wiki] where the protagonist's name was instead "Ryo Narushima". And while I am wholly unfamiliar with the manga, I remember being attracted to the figure when I first saw it years back. I had the opportunity to purchase it yesterday at a shop in China Square Central!

SHAMO-HEADER-01
SHAMO-HEADER-02

The figure came "loose" and in a plastic bag, as opposed to it's lone printed box, and excluding the black hoodie that came with the original set. In place of it was a 21st Century machete - which the handle of did not fit regular 1/6th, but heck, I love me sum machetes! MUAHAHAHAHA.

SHAMO-HEAD-01
shamo-csc-01 SHAMO-HEAD-02

Loving the headsculpt - which very nicely exudes the allure of a cartoony-anime character design, while skirting the edge of "realism" in it's angst. Done back in the days when the artist for the sculpt was not advertised to heighten the value of the figure, this was indeed a memorable look for me, IMHO.

SHAMO-CAMO-01
SHAMO-CAMO-02
SHAMO-PANTS-SHOES

In my "early years" of collecting 1/6-scale non-military clothes (and believe you me, I have a massive 1/6-wardrobe of), the camo-jacket, boots, black tee and even pants, would have been on my radar, even for "loose" purchases (aka "sans figure") … and having touched and played with the items here, they are absolutely worth it! Especially so, baring in mind the quality of such items "back in the day". Little wonder why the figure would cost so much then :p

Added is also a "pants-down" snap, showing the Hot Toys' figure beneath, used years before the advent of their current "True Type" body-form. Can't say I missed it tho, primarily for the bendy-hands that came with the figure (which irked me to no end lol).

SHAMO-HANDS
shamo-csc-02

One "special" aspect of the figure, unique to this character, where the "wrapped fists", seen here nicely weathered - without over-doing the grime - for that battle-tested look. The fists remain clenched tho, so that about serves as much articulation there. But I am fine with it, IMHO.

And while I am hesitant to do a "price-check" on this figure (as prices might differ from locale to country-locale), but I scored mine for less than $100, although incomplete. And I have a nagging feeling I might have bought this figure before! But I am unable to check now ... if I did, then this figure might serve as kitbash/custom fodder, as I reckon he might look swell as "Lunartik" in "Tiger & Bunny"!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK