Lunabee: Q&A + Seen @ ToyConUK 2013

Scroll down to read my Q&A with Sarah Miskelley aka Lunabee of her experience for the recently concluded ToyConUK and as well a peek at her table (alongside Threadbear Studios), and head on to Lunabee.co.uk to snag some awesome customs!

ToyCon 2013 / Lunabee's stand
ToyCon 2013 / Lunabee and Threadbear ToyCon 2013

TOYSREVIL: How was ToyConUK for you? Your impressions? Was it what you expected it to be?

LUNABEE: I had a fantastic day, I spoke on the Custom Toy Panel in the morning which was very nerve-wracking but fun and really inspiring to see so many people interested in giving customizing toys a go. One of the highlights was sitting next to Dok A on the panel and getting to hear his advice and stories of how he got to where he is now, it was very motivating and inspiring.

Sales wise, I sold far more to my lovely fans after the show online which I expected as I had just moved house a few weeks before Toycon and had not had sufficient time to prepare and promote my booth which will definitely be rectified for next year. I really wish I had been able to spend more time perusing other stalls but the day went by so fast.

The stand out toy at the event for me was the Neese plush monsters – I must have one they are adorable and so well made. The main thing I enjoyed about the event was the people – the artist and toy fan community is wonderful – everyone is friendly and chatty creating such a brilliant atmosphere for everyone.


524659_366244890151560_1376858550_n
63484_366246530151396_1502000922_n
558761_366247793484603_561172861_n

TOYSREVIL: Tell us what you had on your table!  (You shared with Threadbear, right? Was that your mum?) And which of your items had the warmest reception / best response?
 
LUNABEE: I had my biggest ever Dunny series – The Toxic Ten – 10 intricately painted custom Dunnies based on poisonous plants which have sold out bar one; these little guys got lots of attention particularly from the younger attendees. An 8” Dunny called Quinn turned out to be the star of my table attracting many compliments and sold online straight after the show. He was probably my favorite piece as he made me smile every time I looked at him and was challenging to paint (due to all the colours and fine detailing).

I also had a custom Gary Ham Hermees, 7” Trikky and Pecanpal which are all available still at Lunabee.co.uk and a snowdome custom and 2 mini munnies which sold. I really wish I had managed to paint more but sometimes life gets in the way of art (sadly!).

I did share my table with Threadbear Studio who happens to be my lovely Mum. She mainly sold cushions and bags – the autumn leaf print was by far the most popular (funny considering the time of the year) and had many oohs and ahhs over her beautiful crafting skills.


561978_366247773484605_1766786285_n
ToyCon 2013 / Threadbear's Stand

TOYSREVIL: Any suggestions to make the event even more awesome in the future?

LUNABEE: I think definitely a larger venue where more tickets will be on sale for visitors which I am sure the Toycon Crew already have in hand. The number of artist stands was pretty spot on – there weren’t so many that you couldn’t get round them and that exhibitors got lost in the crowd but enough for a hugely diverse range of goods on offer. Next year Me and Cris Rose will be having a Nemori stall selling all the lovely toys and other goodies under our new art studio – more info on Nemori coming very soon ;)
 
(Images via Evan Morgan + Cris Rose)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK