"Submerged" by Yoskay Yamamoto: Video + Images of Installation

"For this film, we originally talked about having a Japanese folklore or an old myth as a narrative ... I couldn't find the story that had connection or relation to my art ... So I suggested having my girlfriend Emi read one of my grandmother 's letters I received before she passed away ...

Due to complex facts, I wasn't able to return home for my own grandmother's funeral... During that time I Skyped with my mother and she showed me my grandmother lying very peacefully in a white kimono. She looked much older and skinnier than I remembered her to be ...

It felt strange to see my grandmother on the computer screen and I couldn't really grasp what was going on emotionally at the time ... I felt selfish and some of my family got upset about it...

This film project was an opportunity for me to reach back to my grandmother and report my well being and to introduce my art work and my girlfriend to her.

I miss you very much and I hope this little film of ours will reach you eventually.
Love you.
Your Grandson,
Yoskay


(via Yoskay Yamamoto's "Submerged"")

Yoskay Yamamoto's "Submerged" @ Hong Kong Times Square from September 27th – October 31st 2013. Seen below are images of his installation, with folks and kids interacting with it, somewhere which I would love to be lost in, now … see more of still images on Yoskay's dedicated "wish to meet you one day…" Facebook album (all images here via).

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK