#throwbacktoythursday: Black Cybone & The Mad Capsule Markets

"The Mad Capsule Markets (originally known as The Mad Capsule Market's and Berrie) were a Japanese band that formed in 1990 and were active until 2006. The band became known for their experimental style, which melded various kinds of electronic music and punk rock." (Wiki)
In 1999 the band released their "Osc-Dis" (Oscillator in Distortion) album, and it was round that time they introduced their robotic "mascots" the "White Crusher" and "Black Cyborn" (also known as "Black Cybone"). Posted below is the music video for "Pulse", which saw the debut of the "Star Wars"-inspired designed robots. This track was also used in 'Tony Hawk ProSkater 3'.


Truth be told, I had never listened nor attempted to hear their songs, but I was fascinated with their characters made into "toys", specifically made by Medicom Toy! I remember many a times coming across their music CD singles packaged with Kubricks in blister-cards (in Tower Records, in Pacific Plaza too), but balked at the prices, and frankly did not collect Kubricks then …


Black Cyborn Kubrick in "Chaos Step" Single (circa 2001)
White Crusher Kubrick in "Gaga Life" Single (circa 2001)


…And if I had a "toy-grail" for their Kubricks? It would be the convention exclusive MAD CAPSULE Market Giftset set of 8 Kubricks! (White Crusher 02, 03, Black Cybone 02, 03, SP, Child, Erika and Pochi) … BUT, what fascinated me the most, were the 1/6-scaled figures from Medicom Toy!


Released in 2004, RAH (Real Action Heroes) the Mad Capsule Markets-pair were financially "out of my reach", or specifically, not a price I was willing to pay for 1/6 figures, of which I collected loads, but was caught up with "how much accessories" whatever the figures came with, hence "more value for money spent" haha

Be that as it may, I came across BLACK CYBONE not too long ago at the Sunday flea market at China Square Central, and I made him mine! (There was the WHITE CRUSHER available too, but I could not afford it there and then, and have since regretted not being able to snag it…) - pictures of which I'd like to share with you folks, for this week's #throwbacktoythursday:


The box had contained the necessary illustrations of both the characters, as well the box surface had printed a lot more text featuring the stories of Cybone and Crusher, which frankly I never did read … I was more interested in the toy!

Bearing in mind, it has been nearly a decade since being released, so the plastic tray within had yellowed, but the figure itself remained non-"sweaty". Basic articulation, non-articulated hands. The armor and weapon was utilitarian with as much detail as the picture showed. The only "downside", was me breaking/snapping off the holster (which was glued on).


The "bubble" had soon burst once I had the figure "in hand", and my fascination with the character design soon came to a pedestrian impression of the RAH figure. Perhaps I needed to listen to the songs, or were more into the band, to be able to fully appreciate the figures as toys? Prime examples for me include the "Tiger and Bunny" and "Attack On Titan" animus haha ... or perhaps I needed White Crusher to complete "the pair", for a more enriching collecting experience?

But the fact is, I thoroughly enjoyed the "slimness" of the body figure, compared to the multiple muscle-bound figures around, a figure-form as slender as this appealed to me, and still do, in fact.

Nevertheless, I'd rather not dwell too long into the merit(s) of having this toy, and look forward to a chance when I can track down the Kubrick Gift Set instead! LOL

(FYI: These images and more have since been uploaded on the dedicated TOYSREVIL Facebook album)

Additional Photo-sources:
- Chaos Step CD
- Gaga Life CD
- 8pcs Gift Set
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK