#TopTenToysof2019 by Bjorn Lim


Once I year, I get to live my toylife vicariously thru other collectors - even as I LIKE the images on their collective Insta-feeds, it feels somewhat "different" when seen on my blog (at least to me, in my naive way) - snd I look forward to their collective lists. Local collector Bjorn Lim's is one such list(s) I always look forward to. Bjorn also shared, "It’s a huge struggle to complete the top 10 list, and I think there are quite a few “first” in the list."

This is @kopiwriter's TOP TEN TOYS OF 2019!


#10: More Want by FigureBoy and AX2 Limited (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: I chanced upon this figure on IG in mid 2018, and instantly like how quirky it was. Its name is directly translated as Demon King, and somehow it reminded me of a house husband making pancakes. But it appeared that it wasn’t available outside of Taiwan. I gave up, until Edward (from the cool MY Toy Hoard) made a great video about it two months ago, revived the poison and guided me to make my first-ever purchase on Zeczec.
 

#9: Hellbot by Soft Steel Toy (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: I really, really like Hellboy, and really, really hate his movies. Luckily, the inspired toys like this cool Hellbot is dope. Just look at those fiery horns!
 

#8: Nabler Guy by ThreeA (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: While most 1/6 figures are cool and loaded with weapons, the Nabler Guy is kind of an outlier. It’s a quirky and silly figure that has it's own charms. Plus, it heralds from the forgotten days of ThreeA (now known as Underverse).
 

#7: States of Matter – Trance by Coarse (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: Anyone familiar with Coarse would know that they make art, not toys. This is an incredible sculpture, and I knew I had to reserve a place for it on my TV console the moment when I set eyes upon its release photos.

TOYSREVIL: Can you share with us, who you are and what you do?

BJORN LIM: I’m Bjorn, and I have two jobs. I handle creative development and video production during the day, and hunt for toys at night.
 
TOYSREVIL: How long have you been buying (collectible) toys?

BJORN LIM: I think it’s either 2009 or 2010, so it has been at least a decade.
 
TOYSREVIL: Where do you normally purchase your toys? Online? Offline from Stores? Events? Which do you prefer? And why?

BJORN LIM: Most of my purchases are made online because that’s where most of the toys are made available. The only store that I would visit for toys is Ozzo Collection – it’s the best toy store in town. I haven’t been to many toy events, but I try to attend the Singapore Comic Con, Street Superior and Culture Cartel.


#6: Alvin by Anatoy (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: This is the first toy that I got from the first Thailand Toy Expo that I attended. I was in Bangkok for a shoot and managed to attend the final hour of the Thailand Toy Expo. Most of the booths were already closed by then, but the awesome people at the Anatoy booth were willing to sell this cute figure to me. Instant gratification!
 

#5: Aitsu (Super Cookie Land Collab) by Punk Drunkers (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: This is my first Punk Drunker Aitsu figure. I just adore how silly it is – GID, ballet tutu on his neck and geeky glasses.
 

#4: Ice Lime Cola Dino by Ziqi Wu and Unbox Industries (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: I scored this dino during Street Superior, and had a great chat with the artist. Every one in the office loves this adorable dino so I have to give extra points to it.

TOYSREVIL: Do you have “toy-grails”? And did you manage to score a “toy-grail” this year (2019)?

BJORN LIM: My toy grail is Tara Mcpherson’s Lilitu. I actually don’t think I will ever score one though. (To anyone reading this, please sell me one! ;))
 
TOYSREVIL: Any particular focus or toy-aims this year (2020)? Starting any new line?

BJORN LIM: I don’t focus on one toy line. I just grab whatever catches my eye, so I guess my collection is a little messy. Here’s the proof:



#3: Eyezon (Blobpus Paint Ver) GID by Max Toy Co and Blobpus (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: I have a top 3 Eyezon list, and this GID Blobpus painted version is No.2. Anyone who receives their first Eyezon would probably be impressed and pleasantly surprised by the size and awesome paint job. I sure was.
 

#2: Batman: The Animated Series 1/6 Scale Figure by Mondo (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: Batman is my favourite superhero, and Kevin Conroy is arguably the best Batman. Kudos to Mondo for producing such a dope figure with a ton of cool accessories. This has to make the list. The nostalgia is real!
 

#1: Itchinesu Stinger by Atom A Amaresura (Pix on Instagram)
BJORN SAYS: Toy lotteries are tricky business when your lady luck is always drunk or sleeping. This is my first lottery win from Atom A Amaresura, so all my stars must be aligned that week. I have been a huge fan of itchinesu so this is the biggest win and score for 2019. No contest!
 
TOYSREVIL: Do you belong to any particular or dedicated toy-groups (online or offline)? Do you have “toy-buying buddies”?

BJORN LIM: There are a few, but the one I frequent the most is Jelliroyale which I inherited from a good mate of mine in Australia. Toy-buying buddies online? Plenty, and it’s “dangerous”. We take turns poisoning each other.
 
TOYSREVIL: “Toy Buying these days is a solitary affair” = Do you agree with this? How do you feel about this?

BJORN LIM: Not really. I think collectors are often happy to connect, but adulting does get in the way.
 
TOYSREVIL: Where can people go to see your collection?

BJORN LIM: instagram.com/kopiwriter.
Bjorn
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK