DESMOND HINKSON'S TOP TOYS OF 2023



In this latest TOP TOYS OF 2023-list, permit me to welcome Singapore-based Desmond Hinkson (AKA Blue Tengu) to share with us his collecting journey! As well he is now a toy-creator as well, with his "Bunbuku-FO" sofubi" ready to take on the toy-world! "Thanks so much for this opportunity. It’s so much fun looking back at these toys, reflecting on what made them so special to me, and trying to capture that essence on the camera."


TOP TOY OF 2023 LIST BEGINS





TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #10: I saw these jiggly monster finger puppets in a gift shop and had to get them. I remember getting these from the convenience store gumball machine when I was a kid. I love their bright colors and paintwork and just how goofy they are.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #9: I love this new Bandai Movie Monster Series Daimajin. I love the Daiei Daimajin and Yokai monster movies. I rarely see any related merchandise especially new ones. This figure has such a simple sofubi form yet it has everything it needs to capture the menace of Daimajin.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #8: This 1/1 scale Gunpla-kun DX set is a lot of fun. I really like the proportions from the design by Panson Works. It’s also pretty cool that Bandai are experimenting with more eco-friendly materials with this project. I want to make so many variations! Bandai if you’re listening, please make it easier for us to get our hands on Zakupla-kun!



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #7: I grew up with shows like Force Five, G-Force and Future Boy Conan. These little Robonoids from SO-TA have a lot of articulation and great little figures to bring my desk to life.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #6: I was running all over in my trip to Japan trying to get a hold of one of these Tolro-800 kits. I’ve got a lot of fondness for worker robots like these and I’ve been trying to make one of these from scratch for a while. I couldn’t find any in Japan but luckily someone just one subway stop away from where I live was selling one at a fair price. These are about 1/35 scale so I have lots of diorama plans for it once I’m finished all the build and paint work.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #5: This S.H. Monsterarts Jet Jaguar from Godzilla S.P. came out in 2021 but I didn’t get one until now. I never had Ultraman as a kid but I loved Jet Jaguar and I loved the Singular Point anime. So finally I’ve gots this lanky goofy guy with a helicopter backpack and an Anguirus Spear. He also looks close enough to 1/35 for me to start making a diorama.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #4: It was a nice surprise to see this release of Blonk from Sad Salesman come out a couple of months back. I had to get two of them immediately. One is going to get customized into Tetsujin 28 and I haven’t decided on what the second one will be yet. It’s just so chunky and adorable! How can it not inspire customs?



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #3: I picked up way too many of these Moderoid Tetsujin 28 kits. I decided a while back to only collect Tetsujin 28, (as a way to control my urges to collect every super robot). I thought I would make a few customs from these kits. This one has been painted to look like the Karoria Tetsujin. I’m working on a bomb damaged version from the Morning Moon of Midday movie next.



TOP TOYS OF 2023 - #2: I started 2023’s collection off with Javier Jiménez’s Shishi from Stick-up monsters. I was lucky enough to have my head bitten by a Shishi a few years ago in Japan, and I was even luckier to meet Javier during the same trip. He’s such an awesome person and I love his playful yokai designs.



THE TOP TOY OF 2023 - #1: This is the coke bottle clear version of Bunbuku-FO sitting in a big box of parts to make even more of them. After years of work I had my own toy line delivered from the factory in Japan this year. I have a lot to learn and I hope people everywhere will enjoy having my monsters in their life too. I’m grateful for all the support that allows me to bring imaginary creatures into the real world. Please keep a look out for updates on instagram.com/blue_tengu!


TOP TOY OF 2023 LIST ENDS

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK