Eric Chew's TOP TOYS OF 2023

Let us welcome Eric Chew from Sapien Toy Studio to share with us his TOP TOYS OF 2023! As always interesting to see a toy designer and his personal toy-collecting adventures! Thank you for sharing, Eric!



Hello, My name is Eric. I collect a lot of different toys; from soft vinyl toys to commercial toys like blind boxes, Hot Toys and action figures. Other than collecting, I started Sapien Toy Studio to make my own character come true too.

2023 has been a rather difficult year for my family and I, so I didn't really buy a lot of toys but still, Thank you for looking through my list. These are my socials.

instagram.com/sapientoystudio
instagram.com/eric_chewthulhu



TOP TEN COUNTDOWN BEGINS





TOP TOY OF 2023 - #10" Micro Jiangshi and Fu Manchu by Daniel Yu

I remember meeting Daniel Yu back in 2017 at the Thailand Toy Expo. That was when I first got to see his work and I became a fan ever since.
I love his explorer series, skull explorer and pumpkin explorer especially. He also taught me a lot when I first started back in 2021.
Back in PTS Singapore, the Micro Series caught my eye. The paint work is on another level. A must get.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #9" JEM 5th turtle edition

Jeremy has always been kind and helpful since the start of CoPlay. He was there to talk to me during the lowest moment of my time back in 2023 and I am always grateful to him.
I have always considered this piece as one of my favorite "ART" pieces instead of a toy.
The double cast resin was so beautifully done that it looked great no matter day or night, with or without special lighting.
P.S. His Flowermon is another great piece to collect!



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #8" Kinora by Potion Hunter

A mushroom with big feets, what can be more unique than this.
Kinora reminded me of why I started collecting toys. I love the design, it's unique and I would love to add it into my collection.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #7" Pets of outdoor by XAP

Blindboxes has been in the hype during the recent years. I would say that it is a mental torture to decide whether the Hirono series from Popmart or the Pets of Outdoor by XAP is my favorite.
At the end of the day, I decided that Pets of Outdoor won by a tiny fraction. I love camping and if I am able to go camping with a racoon, that would be even more awesome.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #6" Lil' Diablo GID Ver by Headlock Studio

When East Meets West.
I love Headlock Studio but it is challenging to get them via lottery and so, most of my headlock pieces are obtained either by trades or a hole in my wallet.
When I happened to win the lottery by Monster Taipei for the Lil Diablo GID back at TTF last year, I believe that I probably used up my 2023 luck.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #5" S.A.F.S Thunderbolt with Mini Labubu

I am a huge fan of Kow Yokoyama Maschinen Kreiger.
It was his mecha characters that got me into collecting threeA's WWR back then. When I got to know that there was a labubu collaboration, I knew that I needed to add them into my collection.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #4" Mega - Mixasaurus by Instinctoy and James Groman

My friends know that I am a massive fan of Instinctoy.
Vincent vs Liquid was what got me into collecting designer toys.
Via Mr Hiroto, I got to know about the rotten rex by Mr James Groman.
I love the Tyrannosaurus a lot and when I found out that there was a Tyrannosaurus sofubi project by them, I had to support them!



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #3" Aitsu (Horror Version) by PunkDrunkers

Another reason why I believe that I probably used up all my 2023 luck in TTF was because I managed to get the Aitsu (Horror Version).
What's more, I actually managed to get it autographed.
Punk drunkers is one of the first few designer toys that I got to know of when I first started my collection. I am glad that I had the opportunity to visit his shop back in 2017 and also got his Crayon shin chan collabo tees back then.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #2" About animals series 2 "Dragon" by Dehara

I love Dehara's work. It's unique. His work is very different from others. Even his vinyl figures look hand sculpted and this is why I like it so much.
The Tiger and The Dragon is my favorite in his About Animal Series.



TOP TOY OF 2023 - #1" Like a Bird by Moe Nakamura

When I was young, one animal that I wished I could turn into is the bird. I always wonder what flying feels like.
I considered this as my most precious toy in 2023. It is so precious to me that I couldn't bear to unbox it.
Like a bird reminds me of my younger self, jumping around from heights at the playground pretending to be able to fly.


TOP TEN COUNTDOWN END



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK