cover bands @ gallery1988 (oct 7-31)

COVER BANDS was a group art show which premiered October 7th 2008 @ Gallery1988's LA Gallery. Over 50 artists were asked to pick one of their favorite LP album covers, and then use it as a canvas. The result is an acid-fueled trip down soundscape memory lane (at least for me) tinged with copious amounts of silent-wows and awes, as my internal jukebox kicks into overdrive = *cool*

Co-presented by Klipsch Audio, the finished artwork exhibits thru October 31st @ the gallery, and can also be viewed online @ 1988covers [prices available / all pics via].

Here are some of my favs [more here]:







I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I've always maintained the notion that, if I were ever to buy "art", it would more likely to be original artwork from comicbooks, specifically paneled artwork. Not becoz I do not value "traditional artwork" (aka painted canvas framed and hung on a gallery wall) but becoz most times, as pretty as some do look, they do not move me beyond just that, paintings on the wall. (Or in most cases, jpegs online).

As much as "art" may appeal to different people in different ways, what appeals to me has to go beyond aesthetics, which I've realized thru the years primarily has to deal with nostalgia (becoz i am a sappy sentimental sap at heart) and appeals to me emotionally. Old / Retro / Classics - however they are labeled, appeals to my music-memories greatly :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK