day's end 24 may 2007

seen on location recce today:

wouldn't they make sad "interesting" toys? ...
*read another long mundane ramble after the jump - but only if you want to*

i have what is known as "ailment of the job" (which i suspect there are folks out there like me ... i hope? :p). my dayjob is in production design and art direction, for the (local) media industry. and whenever i view any programmes/films/et al, inevitably i'd begin to breakdown the design/sets/props/etc; mentally = how they managed the space / how might they have provided that particular prop, in what way i could have done it better, on and on ... in my earlier days, t'was a malady which i'd embrace, as i felt it helped me provide an added perspective to both my job (and what i needed to do, and "not" to do), as well as being able to analyse any given scenario ... but as the years dragged on, it became quite a bit of a "crutch", most notably when im trying to just simply enjoy what it is i am watching/viewing at any given time, but i can't! and i really don't want to be thinking about work all the time, ya know? :p

ironically today, while scouting for a location for an upcoming shoot, both my aforementioned "ailment" and my current passion+fascination for toys had a mild collision = with me trying to solve the logistical problems of the location (while retaining a semblance of the required design context), and at the same moment, wondered about whether the statuettes (posted above) could have had a possible life as a series of (local) vinyl toys ... which perhaps parallel my current personal internal predicament; to literally have the need to "choose" one or the other, be it as a new career path (in one form or another) and/or the focus of my undivided attention ... or can one actually exist with each other?

regardless of my rambling, here are a few more images of statuettes found in "Haw Par Villa" [wiki], one of the early incarnations of a theme-park, in Singapore:
amputated legs and bloodied gore with the scene depicting the (musk)-rats battling rabbits - freaked me out some LOL ... while the ape-garden (below) left me wondering what the fuss was all about (for the apes, i mean)
i would've taken more pictures, but the park was in too sad a state of neglect, while remembering it's "glory days" (or "memories of") decades ago, when i visited it as a child ... oh yeah, the beginning two images would probably be of the park's "mascots" ... i think ... *heh*
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK