Giant Robot Interview on VIMBY


VIMBY-VIDEO-DESCRIPTION: Luis talks about how Eric Nakamura and Martin Wong started Giant Robot as an Asian/American pop culture magazine, leading to a franchise of retail stores selling artist goods, vinyl toys, and much more. [via Vimby.com]

[CLICK THRU to read my personal recollection of collecting Giant Robot, back "in the day"]

TRE: Tis funny (in a "sad" roundabout way), that I remember the very late-90s / early-2000s when I first came across GR the magazine (from my regular comicbook shop, no less). I remember the earlier fanzine-vibe issues before their subsequently glossy-sweet print (as all successful zines eventually do). And I remembered the only way I could get a hold of the GR-zine, was thru the comicbookshop, which was on my reservations list ~ for which sometimes they'll miss out orders from. Pretty darn well gut wretching, some weeks.

Gaps in issues aside, gradually accessibility to GR had gotten better, being able to find them at select bookshops. But as the years toiled on, and as my personal finances got the better of me, one of the first "habits" I had to curb, was buying magazines (IdN, FRAME even MiLK magazine!). Giant Robot was the last title I had grudgingly decided to have to join the rest on the list.

A few years pass, and even now, I would walk pass a magazine rack and do a double-take, before adhering to my magazine-celibacy. Giant Robot recently had their 2nd Biennale [blogged here + here], celebrating 15 years ~ wow, has it really been that long? *Cool* ~ Congrats, GR!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK