Happy National Day, Singapore! Majulah, Singapura!

I've decided I am not "toy-patriotic" enough for Singapore. I've tried to be though, but seems my attempts had both faltered and/or been unrecognized, and alas, tis of my own making...

Today August 9th Singapore celebrates it's "48th birthday" with National Day, which will see a parade (which I've never been to in my life thus far) and the Singapore flag being hung from windows of HDB flats (or so rather i remember them to be since my youth ;p). But no, this post is not about what I do as a Singaporean, but of "toys"!

I was looking at getting toys for a group shoot, which will represent the designs from Singapore on a selection of toy forms and genres, and found my collection lacking in diversity, depth and reach. Regrettably I have not been too diligent in collecting locally-designed toys, and I have not been able to afford most, at times in my life … nevertheless here are some sweetness that I do own, which I'd like to share with you, my dear readers!


(Left-to-Right): PHU!'s Yoka sitting atop a P77 resin mecha (produced by My Tummy Toys), TOYSREVIL Yoka upfront, standing alongside the Skateboard Yoka Set from ANTZ, next to the Hell Lotus vinyl designed by Clogtwo (produced by Mighty Jaxx) with a Clogtwo-Yoka sitting on his left-palm. All Yokas produced by adFunture (thank you for supporting local designers!). Mind you, the selections shown here are products designed by Singaporeans, and is something we should be proud of!

For sure there are much more toys and collectibles in existence, including designs from Daniel Yu (Crawdad Kid from the October Toys-produced OMFG Series 1 and his Oi! Cthulhu produced by Mighty Jaxx), and as well current SG-based brands like Pobber, FLABSLAB, Creamous et all, but I do not own their products per se (Except for Pobber, but they are not from SG-designers ;p).

Not forgetting earlier products from folks like Jahan Loh (his collectible vinyl humanoid figure wearing a thermal-change fabric shirt, and his dog, is something which I regret not getting decades back), and names unfortunately forgotten thru the years, and lost within the need for "What's NEW" in the local scene, bypassing the victories of the past, IMHO...

Regardless, I would like to take this opportunity to wish ALL designers and creators in Singapore: Continued passion in their work and creations, and know that they will be recognized by folks who care about the culture and community, even if "others" fail to. And to everyone else, a very HAPPY NATIONAL DAY, and do not forget your triumphs!

MAJULAH, SINGAPURA! (Translated from the Malay language to "Onwards, Singapore")

Cheers,
Andy
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK