Kelvin Chan for #Inktober2018


For today's INKTOBER2018-feature, I's like to take this opportunity to feature the works of Illustrator, designer, concept and comic artist, sculptor from Singapore; Kelvin Chan - whom you can view his Inktober brushpen sketches in this dedicated Facebook album, and as well on his Instagram @rocketraygun ... and allow me to regale you, kind readers, about our over 3 decades long "connection" and friendship (Some even Kelvin might not have known about too :p).


I had first "known" of Kelvin from back in the early 80s, where his artwork would be posted on the glass panels of Comics Mart in Serene Center, very often, in fact! As a wannabe doodler (of course back then I thought myself to be an aspiring "comicbook artist" :p) I had looked at his drawings and was inspired, and quite frankly, grew a "little bit" jealous as time grew by... I don't think I've ever met the guy then too!

Then one day, I shored up enough courage to submit my doodle (of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", I think), and Carol generously agreed to post up my sketch! (I don't remember anyone else at Comics Mart gave a crap about me tho :p). As excited as I was, the very next day, it was taken down, and replaced with another one of Kelvin's ... wah, I remembered my jealous was triggered, and that I then had my very own "nemesis"!

Ever living in the fantasy land of comicbooks lah hahahaha


Fast forward to Baharuddin, post-GCE 'O' levels (my second try, always ... I talked a little bit more about it here :p), where I managed to score a seat in the "Interior Design" class, and imagine my surprise when I met my "nemesis" for the very first time! Kelvin was in my exact same class!

He was there as I had been, to essentially finish the 6 months "foundation course" (or was it "3 months"? I forgot), and then wait for an opportunity to transfer to a "Graphics Design" course instead (We were told there will be drop outs after foundation, as they'd "wed out the students" / not their words :p) ... to which Kelvin did, but I chose instead to stay (and eventually graduated as a "Interior Designer"). We had become friends by then, and I literally spent the next 2-to-3 years in bloody awe of his art! His graduating graphic novel art had inspired me muchly, I admit ... and that "nemesis" thing? It was all in my own muddled head, due to simple "jealously" :p

Aaaahhh; "youth" ... and also living in the fantasy land of comicbooks lor :p


DECADES later, after I had survived Stroke, I went to the local convention (actually while still in hospital care, but that's another story for another time :p), and met Kelvin again, this time he was boothing as an independent artist with the moniker "Rocket Raygun"! And we've reconnected since! Both his daughter Woofer Rae and son Kieran Kudidos are also now published illustrators themselves! Check out this next sketch, which he had collaborated with his son for;


Seeing his art now, is simply as inspiring as it had been all the decades ago, IMHO. Inspired by the confient strokes, the life-like gestures and forms, and the depth of character the illustrations portray, seen here even in its basic form, is delightful to me, to say the least.

Check out his time-lapse drawings too, especially on his youtube channel. Hope you've enjoyed his art for Inktober (so far) featured here :)


Posted by Kelvin Chan on Friday, October 19, 2018


Posted by Kelvin Chan on Friday, October 19, 2018
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK