Marya Demigillo's #TopTenToysof2021

WHAT-IS: What are YOUR #TopTenToysof2021? I’ve invited some collectors to share their favs and you can check if they share the same designer toys as you, in this serial feature on TOYSREVIL heralding in the new year of toys in 2022!



Today we welcome the return of Marya Demigillo of Toy Art Philippines to share with us her TOP TEN for 2021 (TOP TEN TOYS OF 2020), showcased here in no particular order (Scroll thru to find out here choices and victorious toy-hunt)! And as well scroll thru to the bottom of this post for a lil'Q&A catch-up with her, and for a lil'toy-tease for "2022" to come :)



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Kaws Kubrick Bus Stop (Volumes 1 to 4)

MARYA DEMIGILLO: As mentioned in Top 10 2020 – This is one of my toy grails. Am happy that I found this online. I am really interested in bus stops and take pictures in them whenever I travel abroad. It is a very interesting place – where you can just observe people and get that feeling that everyone is trying to get somewhere. Hope to find the 5th some day.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: The Mangolorian by Luke Chueh x FLABSLAB

MARYA DEMIGILLO: This is funny. I love it.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Fuck Fake Friends by FLABSLAB

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Well, they’re not really your friends if they’re fake right? So F* them. This is a nice piece to stare at when you just feel like ranting.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Masterpiece Obnoxious Liberals 8” Dunny by Jean-Michel Basquiat x Kidrobot

MARYA DEMIGILLO: While browsing the website of The Broad Museum, I stumbled across this Dunny with the artwork of Jean-Michel Basquiat. The irony! When the subject matter is capitalism and its victims, here we are – buying this production piece. Makes me chuckle every time.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Yuurei Neko Sama print board and Yuurei Neko Sama x Pan (Halloween edition) by Michael Chuah

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Supported our friends My Toy Hoard in their donation drive for those affected in the flooding in Malaysia. I like how the group took time and effort to mount this drive to help the community.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Huwag Pasaway! Bawal Tumawid The Action Figure by Gooeyduck

MARYA DEMIGILLO: This piece is based on billboards posted around main thorough fares in Metro Manila. Translation of “Bawal Tumawid May Namatay na Dito” – Do not cross. Someone died here.
It’s a laugh out loud piece for me because of the absurdity of the billboard – you need to scare people for them to follow the law. Check out the dead action figure with chopped off limbs.
(instagram.com/gooeyduckph)



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: The King’s Will (AP 17/20) by Jon-Paul Kaiser

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Am forever a fan of JPK. I think this is my first JPK non-dunny figure. I just love the silver against the black figure. It looks so imposing and proud.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Red Nakai Kidrobot (ed. 77/99) by Quiccs

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Am a sucker for Dunnys.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: NOT A Be@r by Luke Chueh

MARYA DEMIGILLO: This is just so funny. It is not a Bear nor a Be@rbrick? So what is it? I really enjoy Luke Chueh’s wit. I can just imagine him saying this with a poker face and deadpan voice.



TOP TEN TOYS OF 2021: Koopzilla (34/35 chase ver.) by Pixeldump

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Last year I got the Sugar-coated Koops where I felt that it was a big FU to the pandemic situation. Now, this Koopzilla is is big roar to greet 2022 and a challenge to whatever our future brings us. As I always say – Padayon! (move forward).
(Instagram / Facebook)



TOYSREVIL: What has been the most memorable toy-hunt you've experienced in 2021? And what happened? Where you successful?

MARYA DEMIGILLO: There’s nothing too memorable last year as I felt that I was just in a limbo, trying to get through the days. Of course, the pieces triggered some emotions but it was not as intense as the past years.

TOYSREVIL: Has anything changed in your toy-hunting/collection focus in 2021, than the years before? And what is it/are they?

MARYA DEMIGILLO: Looking at most of the pieces that I got for 2021 – I feel that I gravitated more towards the funny and silly pieces. I have been struggling mentally and emotionally because of the pandemic and these pieces brought some respite from that. I enjoyed getting the pieces from Luke Chueh and FLABSLAB because they really made me laugh out loud. It’s just so ridiculous.

I think I want more cute and pink pieces. Haha!
As for the hunt, am just left with two ultimate grail pieces. Am relaxed now because I will eventually find them. It may take years or days but they will always show themselves.

TOYSREVIL: Has anything changed in your toy-hunting/collection focus in 2021, than the years before? And what is it/are they?

MARYA DEMIGILLO: I actually have plans to produce a limited edition art toy piece with some friends but we’re taking our time on it too. We don’t want to release a rushed piece and it should be exhibited properly. Am also in the research phase of a museum exhibition that am working on. Hopefully we will be able to mount it end of this year.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK