Curiosities @ Rivet Gallery (July 4th Opening)

Rivet Gallery in Columbus, Ohio - will host the CURIOSITIES Group Show - featuring oddity-arts and sculptured creations from Amanda L. Spayd, Jake Waldron, and J.Shea.

The Opening Reception is on the 4th of July (from 7pm to 10pm). Amanda L. Spayd will be making an appearance at the opening. Curiosities exhibits through July 29.

CLICK THRU for preview of select images, as well as Artists Bio, or go direct to rivetart.com for the complete preview and detail of artworks.

TRE-IMPRESSION: Admittedly, I do not consider myself to be a staunch connoisseur of the arts, nor a aficionado (even tho I was involved with a television series about the local arts scene a lifetime ago, ironically so) - and as much as "hung canvases" go, it perhaps does not engage me as much as three dimensional objects do (although I do like to be challenged my visual-perusal-habits), but to be extremely specific, the Curiosities show is one of "those" shows I would love to, and want to experience in-the-person. (I won't touch them, I promise...)

My jaws melt unto taffy upon gazing on Amanda Spayd's creations. The decaying gothicalia appeals to my stifled senses so, the perceived muskiness a perfume to my darkened desires, for an expression of life within the void, teeming with activity and "life" metaphorically, if not literally.

AMANDA-SPAYD-02

ARTIST: Amanda Louise Spayd [amandalouise.com]

BIO: Amanda Spayd, a resident of semi-rural Northern Ohio, is a designer, artist, and fragrance alchemist. Her love of texture, antiques, color, and the natural world, combined with an obsessive attention to detail are used to their full advantage when creating her mixed-media sculptures. At once endearing and unsettling, her fabric creatures evoke ideas of cast-off children's toys and ill-concieved taxidermy experiments with human teeth. Amanda creates environments for many of her creatures, giving them permanent homes which hold decorations, related objects, and their personal accoutrements on display. [Read more via]

AMANDA-SPAYD-01


ARTIST: J.Shea [jshea9.com]

BIO: j.shea was born and raised in boston, ma... influenced at an early age by the art found in comic books? animation... and classic sci-fi film... luckily the streets of his fair city were littered with punk rock posters and hand bills that covered telephone poles and recordshop walls... a constant reminder of the local music scene of the 80's & early 90's proved to be very inspirational as well... [Read more via]


JAKE-WALDRON-01

ARTIST: Jake Waldron [jakewaldron.com]

BIO: I was born in 1986. Grew up in Connecticut and ended up going to college in Boston in 2004. I started school as a photography major and ended up jumping around to things like circuit bending, electronics, and computer programming. I would do something for a few months then decide to move on to something new. Finally in late summer 2007 I started sculpting and have been doing it since. Other than that, I am a pretty boring person. [via]

JAKE-WALDRON-02
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK