Artist-Feature: Gabriel 'DIKO' Tiongson (from Issue #1 of *I LIKE TOYS*)

WHAT: In the month of June, I will be posting select articles from the first issue of my Sold Out self-published fanzine *I LIKE TOYS* - in anticipation of the release of the second issue in July-ish, and as well for folks who might have missed out on scoring the 1st ish, and for folks to see what I'm going on about with my Zine. Hope you enjoy the reads, folks!

DIKO-ILIKETOYS-PAGE-01 DIKO-ILIKETOYS-PAGE-02

Today, TOYSREVIL features the published interview with Philippines-artist Gabriel DIKO Tiongson, alone with extra images - including his custom-Bambaboss (now happily in my collection - HOORAY!). For more of his updated work, check out his Artist Page on Facebook!

DIKO-COVER-STICKER-01 DIKO-COVER-STICKER-02
[Above-left: *I LIKE TOYS* fanzine with DIKO-sticker on the cover
Above-right: Design for surprise random huge Popstickers inserts]

TOYSREVIL: You can unto the scene like a snap of the fingers, and had you first solo show in 2011! With your distinctive style and imagery, you have taken your skills and have been involved in a myriad of projects and events since your "public debut" - what's up with that, man? Tell us about yourself, and how did you start?

DIKO: I’ve been a doodler my whole life. The first characters I remember drawing were the guys of Contra from the Family Computer game. This was around pre-elementary so I’m guessing I was around 5 years into this world. Since then almost all my notebooks, textbooks, home works, final examination papers, and the like contained doodles. I drew anything that came into mind. Mostly super robots and anime characters which came in my flavor. Drawing was with me from the very start.

DIKO-SKETCH-01
[Above-left: 'Goophy' / Above-right: 'Adrenaline']

DIKO: Year 2010 my two close friends, my girlfriend, and I decided to purchase some shirt printing equipment to get some small business rolling. I was one of the two responsible for coming up with designs. With that in mind, daily drawing and grinding out my pens on sketch books was prayer time. We joined bazaars and the annual Philippine Toy Convention under the name Galactic Exiles. This was the only purpose I had in mind with drawing until Marvene Munda told me to visit Vinyl On Vinyl gallery.

January 2011 I finally walk into V.o.V. gallery. I was blown away with visual overload since the toys and art works were the ones I could only read about on the net. As I was looking around I met the curator Carlo Reyes. He showed me around while introducing to me the Vinyl culture along with the merchandise on display. After I was settled in, I showed him some of my daily doodles intended for shirt designs. He found them interesting and set me up for a March interview with the gallery owners.

After a few months, I was among 5 artists who were scheduled for interview on that day. I honestly didn’t really know what to expect and brought all my sketchbooks. When it was my turn, I showed Pia Reyes and Gaby Dela Merced what I had. They looked through my illustrations and that is where it all began.

DIKO-SKETCH-02
[Above-left: 'Bigger Badder Wolf' / Above-right: 'Venomancer']

TOYSREVIL: I have met you, and had witnessed your free-form doodling with a sharpie, and the closest visual parallel (in terms of style) I can come up with is Jon Burgerman and Jeremyville. But having said that, they are distinctively different as well. What can you tell us about your style? What is "the Frankenstein with a Sharpie" moniker VoV has given you?

DIKO: My style started out just like everyone else’s. My lines were edgy and shaky. As I went on with my daily doodles my distinction started to slowly bleed out. I would add details that suited my aesthetic and would clean up the line work. An affinity to smooth grooves and thick lines came creeping out. An hour a day of sketching gets the creative juices flowing.

My August 2011 show was entitled “Neurana”. Preparing for the show, I started out with a power-rangerish character. The characters that came after that started having extra limbs and other body parts. With that, the write up was aptly named “Frankenstein with a Sharpie”.

DIKO-SKETCH
[Above: a sketch Gabriel gifted me for when he came to Singapore!]

TOYSREVIL: It was a surprising happenstance when I found out you were a trained Physical Therapist! How does your medical background affect your current work, if any?

DIKO: The normal human body has been studied with all parts accounted for. When it came to my characters I wanted them to be free of structure. I would add extra ear lobes, joints, hands etc. I would inject details with sole purpose of having no purpose. With that said, I want to create characters that are alien to anatomy and physiology.

TOYSREVIL: Out of the events you have been a part of, which one is the most memorable to you, and why?

DIKO: Evening of August 26, 2011 flipped my life 180 degrees. This was the opening of my first show. Everything felt surreal. I had paintings and sketches on the walls, t-shirts and bags on display. It was a dream that I never dreamed of. I met a lot of old and new friends. I was all over the place talking, entertaining, and sketching. That night was incredible. I thank all my family, friends, V.o.V. for all the love and support. Thank you for the warm welcome.

DIKO-BAMBABOSS-CUSTOM-02
[Above: Custom AP-scaled Bambaboss from DIKO - individual images viewable HERE]

TOYSREVIL: This is an inevitable question: When are you doing your own toy? What can you tell us about your plans, for that, and for 2012?

DIKO: There are plans for an international show and a toy release for this year. I can’t really say much since they are still under negotiation. But when everything is said and done, you will be the first to know. Thank you Andy!

DIKO-BAMBABOSS-CUSTOM-01
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK