"After 15 years in development, and 2 years of serious focus," Circus Posterus officially announces the Kickstarter launch of Kathie Olivas’ and Brandt Peters’ first animated stop motion short film, "Calliope".
From Nightmare Before Christmas, to Laika's Coraline (A milestone in my decade of bloggery with my Coraline box / Dedicated Blog), to Aardman Animation and even Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr Fox", I am personally a huge fan of the craft, and am as well excited for this prospect! And with the art of Kathie Olivas and Brandt Peters? This is EPIC news indeed, for this splendid little corner of the geekworld I dwell in…
Check out more images and read the press releases, and not forgetting to check out the teaser video promo! And of course; Back That Kickstarter!
PRESS RELEASE: "For years we have all wondered about the worlds and personalities of Olivas and Peters toys… Many of you have these classic toys in your collections. Who is Calliope Jackalope? Exactly what is inside the phantom teddy bear suit, Slap-Happy? Where does Stingy Jack come from? This artist duo has always pushed storytelling in their fine art and toy design, and this next step in the evolution for them as story-tellers is epic. This project marks Olivas and Peters’ first independent jump into film-making themselves... but it doesn't come without a past history richly forged in film story-telling, and animation development.
Brandt and Kathie will be co-directing their first stop-motion animated short film along with Annie award winning “Special Achievement” Co-Director Martin Meunier (Coraline). Jon Schnepp comes aboard as Executive Producer (Metalocalypse, The Death of ‘Superman Lives: What Happened?) along with animators and fabricators from beloved stop motion classics such as James and the Giant Peach, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. An amazing team of conceptual artists and designers (some of which you will recognize: Stan Manoukian, Lana Crooks, Dennis Cornetta), even the Peculiar Pretzelmen have joined to complete the Calliope team to provide the sound track and score."
PRESS RELEASE: "The goal of this Kickstarter project is to raise enough capital to help produce and finance Calliope as an 8-10 minute (feature production quality level) stop-frame short film and to produce it within 15 months (starting after the conclusion of this successful campaign) including its incentives."
And of course with the Kickstarter comes fantabulistic toys, rewards and incentives, including:
- A 4-figure mini toy set, fabricated by Cardboard Spaceship Toys, based on the second installment from next year’s Olivas-Peters imagined Wandering Misfits mini series II
- A brand new vinyl toy figure, also from Cardboard Spaceship, based on Peters’ Night King; an exclusive color design of the ‘Bat with a Secret Past’ from Peters’ Stingy Jack’s universe
- Olivas and soft sculpture/fine artist Lana Crooks’ micro-edition Calliope resin sculptures with fabric costuming
- Peters-designed toys manufactured in Japan by their toy partnership Tomenosuke + CP, hand airbrushed by Peters
- A new Oracle Deck, like the one Calliope uses in the story's haunting nod to American Spiritualism
*More your way to the Calliope Kickstarter NOW!