about the saddest devil grey colorway

Toby Dutkiewicz, creator of The Saddest Devil [blogged] has dropped a pantone-sample of the upcoming GREY colorway of KEEK [read his origin here] - standing at 6.5"-ers tall and limited to 250-pcs, Keek will come in 3 colorways, with the first colorway; GREY slated for a January 2008-drop. the second colorway will drop later in the year.

i had a quick chat with Toby, about the origins of TSD, his inspirations and
process in the creation of The Saddest Devil /// CLICK HERE TO READ

TOYSREVIL: did you both design and sculpt The Saddest Devil yourself?

TOBY DUTKIEWICZ: I designed the character but my sketches were sent to the manufacturer who sculpted the toy from the images I provided. It was a great process and I learned a lot about the restrictions involved in turning a 2D sketch into a 3D model that can then me molded and cast in vinyl. Not everything translates 100% from 2D to 3D but I am very happy with how my design came out.

TRE: how long ago was TSD (first ever) designed? was he designed specifically to be a vinyl toy? or did he exist as something else before?

TOBY: I designed the character specifically to be a vinyl toy about 7 months ago. I had a few concepts on a character and I sketched them out on paper until I found one that was most appealing to me personally. After I developed a character I was happy with visually I then moved on to developing the story behind him.


TRE: why did you design TSD?

TOBY: I have been collecting vinyl toys for 3+ years now and I decided I would like to try and do my own...simple as that.

TRE: what were you influenced by? what inspired you in the creation of The Saddest Devil?

TOBY: I am very into the Japanese toy market right now (kaiju and neo kaiju) but started out collecting western vinyl toys (dunnys). I think The Saddest Devil displays my current passion for the characters of Japanese kaiju and neo kaiju but is made in the tradition of the western toy market in the sense of paint/design and packaging (it will be boxed not bagged with a header). I was initially drawn to vinyl because they were toys you could collect and open without worrying about decreasing there value or aesthetic.


TOBY: I had been collecting other toy lines that "taught" you to keep them sealed in their packaging and that really grew unappealing to me. With these toys it's all about opening them and enjoying them...displaying them...playing with them! Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the western toys started having quality issues as the hobby became more popular and manufactures rushed to release new stuff and "cash in". I didn't really enjoy spending tons of money on a piece only to receive it and have it have a crappy paintjob. I then found Japanese kaiju and neo kaiju and found that it seemed to have a greater sense of quality overall in both materials and paint. I really enjoyed that about the toys and it reinvigorated my enthusiasm for vinyl.


TRE: appreciate the spirit of "play", a solid concept and quality versus "market value", IMHO - what's next for TSD?

TOBY: The first colorway (grey) launches in January of 2008 with a second colorway dropping later on in the year. Other surprises are in store too ... stay tuned!

TOYSREVIL: lurving the grey-colorway thus far, especially the tonal flames on his "skin", likened to a body tattoo = *cool* ... cheers for your time and trouble, Toby! best of luck with The Saddest Devil and looking forward to it's completion and other colorways! in closing, could you please share with us Who Is Toby Dutkiewicz?

TOBY DUTKIEWICZ: By day I am an Art Director for a large well know construction toy company and by night I run a hxc/metal record label from my basement. My day job crept into my “night job” and my passion to be a kid forced me to design/produce my own toy through my record label.

I really just enjoy toys and hope to design more in the future. Music is another passion of mine and the whole concept of designing a "devil toy" fell right in line with the tiny independent record label I run; Devils Head Records. When you look at that picture as a whole I think The Saddest Devil only seems like a natural fit to me and how I think.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK