Event-Coverage: The ToyStreet Experience With Robert Losito

Toy-Street-banner-1st

CLICK THRU to journey along with Robert Losito ("Smack6102" on Twitter) as he chronicles his time spent at last Friday's ToyStreet [tagged] organized by the folks at Cookies & Cream, and experience first-hand (as close as "first-hand-connected-via-www-across-oceans" can get, yo!) what he had seen and felt, via words and images!

Rob is a fervent supporter of the toy culture (and as far as I know, a "fiend" for designer resin goodness), and this is the first time Rob is published on TOYSREVIL as a "Guest Blogger" (and I hope this wouldn't be the last). Welcome, and Thanks, Rob!

///// ///// /////

THE TOYSTREET EXPERIENCE With ROBERT LOSITO

///// ///// /////

Friday April 2, 2010 there was an event in NYC and it was called Toy Street. This event was the brain child of Cookies & Cream NYC

I had the amazing chance to talk to Scrills From Cookies & Cream about the event and what he was looking to do with it and where he would like it to go. I was told its a new event for toy collectors, artists and vendors to unite where they can buy/sell/trade toys/art/clothing and hand crafted goods.

One of the first things I saw when I got there was this big yellow van parked out front. Scrills told me that is their new adventure. They are planing to take the "Cookies Mob Mobile" on the streets of NY. They will have the van painted by artists and travel around doing promotions and artist signs and get the movement to all points of NYC.

toy-street-setup-4th
[Setting-up Snaps]
toy-street-setup-(3)toy-street-setup-(2)-5th

After we chatted I walked into the show to check it out. I got there a little early and I was one of the first 25 people and received a copy of the Stay True DVD vol 1 [blogged] with my Paid admission. Through the door I noticed they were still setting things up so I decided to take some pictures.

toy-street-6th

The first table I went to was the Sucklord for 2 things: (1) was to see if he had and of his Glyos Sucklorian figures, and (2) to pick up his Green Man Sydrome [featured]. Which I was told was only available through his shows. Sadly no Glyos figure but did score a mold from him. I did get the Green Man Syndrome from him.

cube-craft-Chris-7th

Next I headed over to CubeeCraft and picked up a couple items and Chatted with Chris Beaumont. I love his kits and I wanted to meet the man. Had a quick hello in the beginning but later on through the night I saw him walking around and we sat down and talked toys, video games, cons the Ipad and watched him open his ToyQube blind box Kaniza. I believe he got the Andrew bell CuttleFish.

toy-street-8th

Next it was over to see TooFly. I wanted to see what she was offering and asked her if she could do something in my black book for me. She was very nice and drew this for me :)

GoodWood-9th

Walking around I stopped over to see GoodWood. Makers of urban custom jewelry. Pendants, Chains, Multi-Finger Rings. I noticed they had a custom Toy Street wooden pin and I was interested in one and the woman told me take one they are free! That worked for me :) Sorry I do not remember her name :(

goodwood-9.5
Pugzee-table-1
pugzee-table-2
TRE: The 3-D "exploding wall-tags" look pretty darn insane, IMHO!
pugzee-table-3

Walked over to Dave Cortes's Table to look at all the Pugzees he had on display, as well as some amazing customs he did. I managed to talk to him and noticed he had hand sculpted painted resin Pugzee PEZ dispensers :-o. He had told me they were not for sale :( ... But, later on in the night he was kind enough to let me buy one and told me there were only 6 ever made. One was given to someone as a contest prize when they were first made and that was it. I felt very lucky to get one. Thanks Dave!

dave-cortes-4
Ghetto-Geppetto-5

Sharing the table with Dave Cortes was Ghetto Geppetto (aka Lewis Ojeda; who was running late for the event), who was debuting his very amazing "Stormurai Trooper" [blogged]. One of the most amazing things I was waiting for. When he finally got there it did NOT disappoint. The one I had gotten was a primed version, but he did bring one of his custom painted ones. He was also kind enough to draw a character in my black book.

STORMURAI-TROOPER-01

Music was playing through out the event. DJ Jon Blak was Spinning some amazing music. Gearing up to the live performances that were ready to start. First up was Elizabeth the band who opened up for Shinobi Ninja. I have heard of Shinobi Ninja but was never lucky enough to hear them. But man, both bands rocked the place out. It was fantastic.

Argonaut-resins-12

Also spoke with Eric Nocella Diaz of Argonaut Resins who had a new not before-seen project "TuTTz" [blogged]. Tried to get him to let me buy one but sadly he was just there to display his products not sell them :( ... always a pleasure seeing him.

Art-Hustle-cards-13

Getting close to the end of the night I met Simeon Lipman who was carrying with him the fresh off the press (freshly cut that night) first appereance of the new Art Hustle Trading cards. I walked over said hello and the Sucklord was looking through them so I was looking also. Then Simeon let me look through the book myself. What an awesome guy. Very nice and tall lol.

looking-at-Art-Hustle-cards

Discussed what to expect in the card series and release times price etc. He had told me he was looking at US$120 per box. Didn't get individual pack prices tho. The base card set looked amazing! He also offered me 7 promo cards from the set with the actual pictures that were going to be used! At the same time I noticed the Sucklords card that was given to him because he is an artist in the set. He turned around and said: "Here man, you can have it!"

Marka27-15

Walked over and met Marka27 (creator of the MiniGods) for the first time. Another great person and we chatted up while he was drawing in my blackbook.

THE-R-LOSITO-CONCLUSION:
I had a fantastic time at Toy Street. Met some old friends and new friends. Shared stories about toys, art, games and what ever else came up. All while enjoying some fantastic bands and amazing Artists and vendors. Cookies and Creams's first try at an event like this seemed to be a great success. I would like to congratulate them for a job well done. Let's hope they can make this a yearly event. I would love to see it grow and become an event that people will say "Man, I cant wait go to Toy Street."

[All event-coverage text and images by Robert Losito]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK