CLEA 2010 - CE Battle Artist Feature: Pharuephon Mukdasanit from Thailand

With the "competitors" (aka "International Artists/Designers") featured in the last week, TOYSREVIL now shines the spotlight on the "home-team" of Thailand's designers chosen for the CE Battle @ CLEA 2010 www / tagged], launching this Friday September 3rd @ Royal Paragon Hall - Siam Paragon, Bangkok, Thailand!
PHARUEPHON-MUKDASANIT-CLEA

First "defender" up for a Q&A with us is designer Pharuephon Mukdasanit aka "MAMAFAKA", who has a flair for Typography and a desire to design a BE@RBRICK before he passes on from this mortal coil. CLICK THRU for a read and gawk at oodles of acid-colored graphics to gorge at your mind's eye!

CE-PHARU

TOYSREVIL: What was the genesis / design inspiration / concept of your chosen CE-design submission?

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: Well, last year I created the character design as a form of pyramid cyclist (shown in "Graphics" slideshow below) ~ then I tried to adjust that shape into the CE character plus the a little bit on the meaning of Egyptian era, the mummy, (and) live forever through my design. However, i just want it to be cool&awesome when is being displayed on your shelf.

MMFK-x-CLEA

What is your "Plan Of Battle"?

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: Because I think for this battle I have to share with my partner, so we'll let make it "live" at the event might be more fun.

PAINT-TIGER-BEER-01
Basic CMYK
Basic CMYK

What are your design influences (as an artist)? How do you engage a custom toy / your process of work? What is your preferred or signature style of customization?

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: Basically, I am more of a "designer" rather than an "artist" ... I usually find out about the design from the brief, then move on to concept design, with tuning into the right style which will fit at the end product. With regards to toy or character design, well, in the past 10 years, I have see Michael Lau's work from IDN Magazine, and his stuff amazed me in a way where It seemed like he had shown me the world of urban vinyl toy, and brought it into my world. Anyway, there are a lot of great toy & character designers in Asia, which I have tried to design them, and collect them. Sadly, the cost of production (as a real figure) is so high in Bangkok, i have yet been able to produce it ... But you know, if i have a chance to just design my own B@REBRICK , it will satisfy me and I will die happy.


[3 x images in slideshow above of TOY DESIGN / Full-screen Viewing]

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: For my style, i prefer to just go with the moment, the period of design which is happening in that time. Currently I have a crazy Typographic Style, so may be you can see it in the final.


[6 x images in slideshow above of GRAPHICS / Full-screen Viewing]

What are you looking forward to do for CLEA? And for this event in Thailand?

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: I would like to fully use my ability with a project like this. I believe there are a lot of Thai designers out there, but only just a few designers have been concern about this project. It could be more popular if we could make more promotions, which will help us touch or hit the target. However, for myself, I am enjoying it so far.


[7 x images in slideshow above of SAINT CLOUD event in Melbourne / Full-screen Viewing]

Share with us, who you are (name/nick)? And what's the next project people should look out for from you?

PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT: My name is PHARUEPHON MUKDASANIT a.k.a MAMAFAKA , I'm a Thai graphic designer. I had worked in the advertising agency previously but currently I'm on the freelance, (as) it gives me more time to do many fun things. So far I'd like to introduce you to an art exhibition related to the bicycle ~ named "RIDEaLIFE Project" (art pieces inspired by bicycle). I created the exhibition last year and it was super great fun! I really do enjoy that project very much, I think the exhibition will be launched again this year some day soon. You can check out the information at www.ridealife.net and my personal blog @ www.mamafaka.wordpress.com


[8 x images in slideshow above / Full-screen Viewing]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK