Cosmic Squadron by Matt Walker (+TOYSREVIL Q&A)

COSMIC-SQUADRON-HEADER

COSMIC SQUADRON [www] is a new series of original vinyl figures from Matt Walker (of Dead Presidents Designs-fame) that oozes retro-delights in both it's form and imagery, harkening back to a childhood with vintage toys I wished I had ...

The Cosmic Squadron made it's public debut at the San Diego Comic Con 2010 [tagged] a few weeks back. Currently all four of the production colorways (shown above) have since been sold out via the online shop (with a SRP of US$65 per), so folks will just have to be a tad patient for the next wave to be released. Meanwhile, do CLICK THRU for a lil' online-Q&A I had with Matt, about the genesis of Cosmic Squadron, and what the future holds for the series!

TOYSREVIL: Who Are The Cosmic Squadron? And Who is HazmaT?

MATT WALKER: Cosmic Squadron is an unclassified squadron of the best space enforcers known. Assembled to protect the earth from the evils that live and breed throughout the universe. “HazmaT” is the leader of the Cosmic Squadron. All missions go through him before anyone else. His powers include. Ace marksman with both ray gun and blaster. Trained Killer of space prey. Speaks fluent “Hazzan” the language of the enemy.


COSMIC-SQUADRON-HAZMAT
[Above: HazmaT]

TOYSREVIL: What were the genesis of the Cosmic Squadron figures? What inspired their design and creation?

MATT WALKER: The inspiration behind the Cosmic Squadron was basically everything I’m passionate about in toys. Vintage ray guns, tin robots, vintage kaiju vinyl. One of the most influential things for me is the vintage space action boy called “Billy Blastoff”


COSMIC-SQUADRON-NO-MAD
[Above: No-Mad]

TOYSREVIL: Are these self-produced?

MATT WALKER: I drew up some sketches of my idea for the Squadron. I then enlisted my good friend and fellow collaborator Matt Doughty (Onell Design) for some design assistance. Matt is responsible for the final design of the Cosmic Squadron Figure. These are produced in collaboration with the Japanese toy company “Sunguts” Ichimiya-san sculpted the toy. They are produced by “Obitsu” in Japan.


COSMIC-SQUADRON-ATOM
[Above: Atom]

TOYSREVIL: How would you categorize these figures as? (Kaiju? Retro?)

MATT WALKER: Good Question, I would call them neither. How about “Neo-Retro”. I don’t like to put labels on toys. I have collectors from all sides of the toy world.




COSMIC-SQUADRON-RAYON
[Above: Rayon]

TOYSREVIL: How was the response at SDCC to your figures? (From fans to fellow practicioners). What were your impressions?

MATT WALKER: The response was amazing ! My fans had no idea I was even releasing them. They were pleasantly surprised. My colleagues approved too. 


TOYBOT-SDCC-COSMIC-SQUADRON
[Snapped at SDCC by Kirkland Jue / Posted here]

TOYSREVIL: What's next for Cosmic Squadron? And for Matt Walker?

MATT WALKER: Next for Cosmic Squadron. Guns and Blasters, Villians in the squad. A Space Kaiju.

Next for Matt Walker ? Oh ,Wow ! I could go on forever !

Well, heres a little snapshot. I own and operate the following businesses all with toys the main focus. First, “Dead Presidents Designs”. That’s my Custom paint shop that started all of this madness. I’m pretty known for my paint applications and hand pinstriping on soft vinyl toys of all kinds.

Next, “Monster Kolor”, This is my paint company that I recently started to give others the opportunity to use high quality paints on there toys and not have to shell out hundreds of dollars doing it. I also started an online community to get technical support in your custom paint projects.

Finally, “Presidential Coatings” this is my custom painting operation geared toward production painting of toys. Basically, I work with both toy companies and toy artists in painting of there toys. I have been told that this is the first shop of its kind in the United States. I work with companies all over the world.


COSMIC-SQUADRON
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK