The Heavy Metal Qee Project with Daniel Perry

HEAVY-METAL-QEE

"Word-association" is a varied different thing with each varying individual. Most times they are associated with past happenings or simple word-recognition (I am not an expert, and that sentence should not be taken as such). So when you mention "Heavy Metal" to me, the first thing I though of was European adult comic-strips (aka "Heavy Metal Comics").

Whereas Daniel Perry's HEAVY METAL QEE PROJECT is decidedly "different" in interpretations. And so just what is the "Heavy Metal Qee Project"? Why not let Daniel explain himself HERE - along with visuals of custom-Qees) - while enjoying "The Collector" by Nine Inch Nails, which happens to be the chosen soundtrack for this interview on TOYSREVIL.


HEAVY-METAL-QEE-JPK-1
[Custom Qee by Jon-Paul Kaiser]
HEAVY-METAL-QEE-JPK-2

TOYSREVIL: How did the project come about? Was it an independant initiative from yourself?

DANIEL PERRY: The project is completely independent. I stumbled across 3 DIY Qee, and thought it would be fantastic to get 3 of my favourite artists to work on them, so I asked JPK, DMS, and Jim Freckingham if they would be kind enough to work their magic. The guys all wanted a theme to work with, I struggled with this for a long time, but knew I wanted to give them all the same theme, so the finished pieces had a collective feel. I then spent the weekend at Knebworth for the Heavy Metal Festival Sonisphere, and it all became obvious. For my entire life I have been fascinated by Heavy Metal, not just the music, but the community, and most importantly the imagery. So I suggested this to the guys, and they thought it was a fantastic idea. Shortly after this I was offered another 26 Blank Qee, at a to hard to resist price. From this point on it was a "no brainer", I created the website, and started hunting out more artists.

HEAVY-METAL-QEE-FRECKINGHAM-1
[Custom by Jim Freckingham]
HEAVY-METAL-QEE-FRECKINGHAM-2

TOYSREVIL: And as they say, "The Rest is Rock-n-Roll History". Any criterias for the artists involved?

DANIEL PERRY: The only criteria for the artists is that they are from the UK. They are all then given an 8" Qee of their choice to start working with. So far I have 14 artists signed up, and would like to finish the project with 30 artists. Obviously most of the artists are from the Toy scene, but I also have a Tattoo artist on board, some guys from the UK Graffiti scene, a friend who makes jewellery, and another friend who makes movie props, prosthetics and make up effects. It should be pretty exciting to see what these guys come up with.

HEAVY-METAL-QEE-DMC
[Custom by DMS]

TOYSREVIL: Totally-indeed! How is the project coming along currently? And what are your plans for it?

DANIEL PERRY: So far the project is going fantastically well, so much better than I had hoped. The interest and support has been fantastic. I am hoping to finish the project with an exhibition in London hopefully followed by an after party to say thanks to all the artists and promoters.

HEAVY-METAL-QEE-ADAM-LISTER
[Custom WIP by Adam Lister]

TOYSREVIL: In Closing - please tell us - Who is Daniel Perry? And Why is he crazy enough to carry out this show?

DANIEL PERRY: Who am I? Now theres a question. Well I'm totally obsessed with Art Toys, Designer Vinyl, whatever its classified as these days. I have well over 1,000 toys in my collection, the vast majority being Qee. I spent most of my youth as a Heavy Metal DJ in a local biker bar which was an amazing time of my life. I also spend way to much time in front of my computer. So I guess this seemed like the perfect use of my time. It's proving to be am amazing hobby. I guess its all about sharing the love.

HEAVY-METAL-QEE-ALITTLESTRANGER
[Custom WIP by A Little Stranger]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK