Experiencing Anime Festival Asia 2011 as an Exhibitor

The perspective of attending / covering an event, is somewhat different from exhibiting at an event. In the past while attending events / conventions, my focus had always been on the products on display, and the folks attending that event -their demographics, and their moods, and interaction with the event (with interaction, tis just a fine line dividing "market-place" and "wet-market", innit?). And to my doctors' bewilderment (both Western and Traditional-Chinese-Medicine), I had set up a TOYSREVIL booth amidst the insane crowds that flood the venue halls when the doors opened on Saturday, November 12th - for the 2011 Anime Festival Asia (animefestival.asia).

TOY-COVERAGE_AFA
[No worries, I did cover toys for this event! More features to come after this!]

Essentially a day covering an event versus exhibiting at it, offered me an experience on both sides of a coin, and I am grateful for taking part in it. With my experience helming a booth at STCC 2009, I had less of a wonderment fueling my actions, and actually enjoyed this event as both covering, exhibiting, and thru "buying" and "interacting", enjoyed "attending" the event as well!

This year for AFA, I had the opportunity to have a display space at the Artist Alley venue of the local (Thanks to the efforts of Edmund, and the generosity of Aiko and Shawn). And my perspective had been pretty enriching, I dare claim!

ARTIST_ALLEY
[More on Artist Alleys folks HERE on my FB-album]

Right off the bat - what I had prepared and laid out for folks - might have worked more of an "attention-grabbing" notion (or at least that was my plan) than the prerequisite notion to sell-Sell-SELL, to "pay for a booth". The plan was to promote my blog and brand, and as well make some new friends and have a venue for old friends to come meet-up. And if I could sell some stuff to keep my "life" going forth, that would've been ace.

AFA1-sticker-badge

Best seller of the event for me, turned out to be my Badge+Sticker Set! I had initially expected less of an interest for them (badges with anime characters galore populated the Artist Alley tables while my brand was wholly unfamiliar to near everyone else) but I was happily proven wrong. A few of my Promo-Packs moved as well, surprisingly, and frankly friends and fans of art toys knew enough of my Go-Gashapon-Power-GO capsules were not priced liked the myriad of production-Gashapon machines that greeted old-time folks at AFA lol. Knowledge and recognition was key to the success of any products here in the event, with the buying power of the masses a true force to be reckoned with. And folks (of a predominantly younger demographic) spent freely-ish, from what I saw anyways. Heck, looking at them totting around katanas made me go and grab one too! LOL

AFA-COSPLAY-01
Awesome cosplayers-friends who graced my booth!
AFA-COSPLAY-02

One interesting revelation and success for me, was being able to interact with a much younger reader-base, and as well intro my blog to a younger audience. TOYSREVIL is predominantly a 'weblog', and frankly not a treasure trove of products to retail (that soon will change drastically - or at least that's the plan) and forgetting to promote signing up for my Mailing List for the first day was a grievous mistake. Nevertheless, the response for the second day was pretty encouraging indeed!

AFA-FRNES-FOLK
[Friends and visiting artists / bottom two are folks who
scored free "surprise giveaway" stickers at my booth :)]

I was very open to artists who took the time to drop by the TOYSREVIL booth. I spilt my plans of domination like tap from water, along with regaling of my Stroke and efforts to rehabilitate (even Danny Choo was not spared my sob story - sorry about that! ;p) and yes, I have plans - and in time I hope to be able to share that with YOU folks reading this blog, too :)

If I had the chance to helm another AFA Artist Alley booth, I would go for it right here and now. And I can finally enact all my "plans" for the event! And letting folks know in advance their booth/table number would help in them promoting their space - although I suspect there might have been some layout arrangements done at the last moment for the show to accommodate more booths, so I am grateful for the support nevertheless - kudos to SOZO! And yes, additional signage to the locale please - thanks! :)

TOY-SCORES
[Yes, I couldn't resist and bought myself sum toys!]

Two simple things made my experience at AFA a 'tangible' one (as mentioned at beginning of this post): Buying and Interacting. I went on an "irresponsible" buying spree near the end of the event on Sunday. I had earlier picked up a Culture Japan MIRAI Figma (from Good Smile Co) and had not really thought I needed anything else much (altho I had not the opportunity to 'shop' as much) - but having "friends" with likeminded desires for toys, really did help fuel the rampage! Juan picked up a Wonder Woman Kotobukiya statue, while I splurged on items I might not be wholly familiar with (all via the Good Smile Co booth tho -sadly I missed out on the AFA-Exclusive Gundam ggrrrr), but liked the look of LOL - and what I had mentioned to Natalie earlier on, was that a con felt "incomplete" if I had not bought anything - and now I do feel somewhat "complete" hahahahaha

CANON_AFA_02 CANON_AFA_01
[Blogged HERE / More images HERE on my FB-album]

A surprise for the weekend, turned out to be the photos I had taken (alongside ZiQi, because yes, a single image would be so "lonely" lol) at the Canon arena - with proceeds to benefit the Red Cross to aid in Thailand's flood relief. I had two images taken, and frankly wished I had taken more - but it afforded me a tangible memorabilia / keepsake, of my time and experience at AFA 2011 (beyond me taking a pic of my "Exhibitor" pass, anyways lol).


Having been a relative 'noob' to exhibiting at this event, I would not dare feedback nor compare as much to AFA's past, but the longish chat I had with a complete stranger (fellow Artist Alley booth helmer) while waiting for a cab home, had been extremely enlightening. Exciting times indeed for myself and TOYSREVIL, and for what Singapore is capable of. And never let it be said Singaporeans (or even the younger generation) does not care for anything else beyond consumerism (even tho we are driven by it lol)!

Now to go prepare for a WELCOME message for my new Mailing List folks! (And if you missed out on it, no worries -do feel free to email me at toysreviler[at]gmail.com with the subject title: "ADD ME TO MAILING LIST" - and tell me you met me at AFA, why doncha?).

Cheers
Andy Heng
TOYSREVIL
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK