Making Boombus With S4ndm4n

from a vector drawing to a full-fledged 3-dimensional figure, S4ndm4n (aka. Matthew Beers) has been self-producing his Bully Booombu resin-cast figures for a while now, all in the midst of running Vinyl Addiction [all images via] and starting-up a new toy-forum: VinylToyFreaks [interviewed here] = now that's a busy man! and my humble kudos for his DIY-spirit :)

i had the opportunity to bug Matt for a (long-overdue) cyber-chat about the origins and making of Boombus...
/// CLICK HERE TO READ

TOYSREVIL: what is a "Bully Boombu"? how did the name come about?

S4NDM4N: First of all, you rock Andy, thanks for taking the time to ask me all these questions!

Bully Boombu is a resin-cast toy that I hand-paint and sell individually.  I have a sculptor that works out all the casting of the toy, and I take it from there.  The story behind the toy is really that I started drawing a family of characters called the boombus.  They were all similarly designed and Bully was actually one of the meanies of the group, larger and rough around the edges, as you can see.. They all have different personalities that I made up.

Bully was the one that became the most popular in the beginning. How did the name come about?  Hmm, good question.  I wanted a unique name, and went through listing a bunch of them just making up different ones.. and that one sounded the best and was catchy enough (I hope) that people will remember it.


TOYSREVIL: what was it's genesis? how did them Boombus come about?

S4NDM4N: Really when I started designing the characters; I had toys in mind.  they were influenced very strongly by the idea that perhaps I could sculpt them in 3d and make them into real toys.  I can't remember how exactly I was approached about making the toy, but the guy who sculpts them really has been pivotal in bringing me where I am today with the toy.  Without him, Bully would still be a vector drawing. 

TOYSREVIL: from a drawing to actual figure = pretty darn cool, Matt! and why made you decide to make the figure yourself, and to use resin?

S4NDM4N: When I was first considering making it into a toy, I was able to obtain quotes from ESC Toy.  I did not want to go into debt at the time to start producing a toy and I would have needed to. Producing in resin has allowed me to get them produced in very small, and needless to say, affordable numbers, so that I can do this.  It is one of my hopes that perhaps vinyl toys of some kind will be in my future. :D  Also, I offer it in a DIY version blank, as part of the design, I made it so that I could do that.


TOYSREVIL: how has it been working with resin thus far? how has the experience been thus far?

S4NDM4N: Ok, working with resin, just to clarify to the readers, I've only worked on the surface of them, although I'd love to learn and do my own casting at some point too.  I like it.  It takes a finish very easily and for painting purposes is pretty much on the same level as vinyl, like a munny.  Now for the other cool thing, you can do other things with the resin, since its solid.  I haven't myself but I can imagine people carving into the surface with a Dremel or other rotary tool, and with that, I am sure the base could really go far.  I would love to see this done on one of my DIYs.. of course you can also add to the resin and magic sculpt so far adheres very well to it.  Very nice all around material.



TOYSREVIL: how many Boombus are there? currently and in the near-future?

S4NDM4N: As toys, on the larger body, there is the bully, the upcoming radioactive design, and also coming soon, 5 individual hoodie styles (designs not complete) which will, sport real, removable hoodies made just for boombus. 


S4NDM4N: Of the characters alone, there are quite a few others, including "Ka" boombu, a grenade style, White and Black ninjas and a spray can.


TOYSREVIL: IMHO, the hoodie is adorable and the upcoming designs are sweet! how big is a Boombu actually? and was it always the size you'd wanted?

S4NDM4N: They are approximately 4.5" tall but I've never actually measured him.. imagine that!  I don't know why.  The size is perfect IMO.  Though I think that a Mega boombu would be cool too, I think that its current size works rather well.

TOYSREVIL: "mega" sounds good! LOL (consider this my friend: "Mini-Boombus"! half the size and twice as many colorways! muahahahaha) - and how do/can folks get their hands on a Boombu now?

S4NDM4N: Right now, the sales of the Bullies has closed and the first run is 16, of which I have a few to finish up (a thanks again to all of the patient customers!) but I am going to start working on the radioactives most likely right after the holidays as I plan to have the bullies done by then.  People can send me an email, ( mgbeers [at] gmail.com ) and I do have a list of people waiting for the pre-order to open up.  I do this as a pre-order because, it is, after all, a small production. They can find me on the Vinyl Toy Freaks forum too, where I'll be posting the pre order announcement.


TOYSREVIL: bad news for Boombu-fans, im sure ... what's Boombu's status thus far, and what's up next?

S4NDM4N: As I stated, its been slow as I've re-entered school recently (the art institute) have a family and work full time, but the production of the bullies is nearing its end (whew!) Along with the Radioactives, (which are also GID, mind you) I would also like to promote the DIY versions with some kind of contest in the near future.. perhaps an art series at some point, but we'll see..


TOYSREVIL: cheers for your time and trouble, Matt! and in closing, please do share with us, who is S4ndm4n?

S4NDM4N: I'm an old feller, who lives with his wife and kids, loves toys, collecting, customizing and making them.  I'm an artist through and through, although that's not a statement that I think my work is worthy of being tagged anything special, I just do it.  I love art in all forms, 3d, virtual 3d, toys, paintings, graphic design, animation, even music. I've at least tried most things once.  I love the people of the toy community, the members of various forums, the designers, customizers, store owners, blog writers, people who have their own toy labels.. have I missed anyone?  Truth is, part of the addiction is that its one of the most down-to-earth, welcoming communities on the internet.  Makes it easy to want to stick around.


- also checkout Matt on his CustomVibe :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK