Event Images for Cast In Plastic @ Domy Books / Q&A with Marie Ung

The group custom show CAST IN PLASTIC [blogged] launched just at Domy Books in Houston, Texas - and they have the varied customed-platforms up for view on curator Marie Ung's Facebook album - along with prices for works from over 30 participating artists. We've included a few works for your gawking pleasure (randomly snagged, otherwise we very nearly posted them all in lieu!) and as well images of the launch event (which you can see in full here). "Cast In Plastic" exhibits thru June 23rd, 2011. TOYSREVIL also had a chance to have a quick chat with Marie about the show! Read-ON!

CAST-IN-PLASTIC-CUSTOMS

TOYSREVIL: How do folks get the custom pieces offered on FB? Do they need to email anyone in particular? Or only buy in-store?

MARIE UNG: Anyone who is interested in additional custom pictures for the show can contact George Fadri of Matalino Studios at: gfadri@yahoo.com. Folks that are interested in viewing pieces for the custom can view it online here. The title, artist and price of the pieces are listed under each photo. They can contact Domy Books for purchases at: 713-523-3669. Their store hours are: Monday – Friday 12:00 AM – 8:00 PM, Saturday 11:00 AM – 8 PM and Sunday 11:00 AM – 7 PM.


[Video coverage of CAST IN PLASTIC by TheBlotSays including event images here]

TOYSREVIL: How does it feel to curate this event? And to have these amazing customs come back to you?

MARIE UNG: Well to begin with, I’m very pleased to have curated an amazing event. Being able to work with a bunch of talented artists and the first person to actually view these customs before installation, is like a kid in a candy shop … I think I died and went to heaven. I actually had to stop myself from buying all the customs. I’m very proud of each and every one of the artists that did their part in the show. Not only did they display some really great customs, but they won the audience over during opening night. If it weren’t for folks like Benny Kline from Tenacious Toys, J-RYU and Abe Lincoln, Jr., a lot of this wouldn’t have been possible. They took a lot of time out from their hectic schedule in order to collaborate and give guidance. The show was well received. We are extremely honored to have been featured as the top and opening story for the Houston Press Monday morning.

CAST-IN-PLASTIC-EVENT-01

TOYSREVIL: Like a dream come true (mine too!) - hard to let go of them customs, huh? LOL ~ Is this your first curated event? How did the Cast In Plastic show come about?

MARIE UNG: This is my first time curating a huge event like this and it’s been something that I’ve always wanted to do for the longest time. I’ve been an avid toy collector as a child, collecting G.I. Joe figures, Marvel Comics, Thundercats, She-Ra (that’s right I said She-Ra), Transformers, watching anime such as Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, etc. To be able to educate others and curate a toy show was one of my biggest goals in life. I love being surrounded by toys, comics, cartoons and food *cough* and I don’t think that part of me will ever stop.

I started planning Cast In Plastic about a year ago. In terms of venue, I believed Domy was a great place, since they had a wider audience that was into books, arts, toys, etc. It was a lot of work. I think the hardest, yet most thrilling part was artist search and bringing together an array of talent, with different skill sets, variants of techniques and background. To date I received over 126 submissions and inquiries. The show has a pretty diverse group; we have young and old, professional, emerging, mid-career, and some female artists.

CAST-IN-PLASTIC-EVENT-02

TOYSREVIL: Sweet. Most times I reckon it is the sheer diversity of artists, along with toy-forms, that makes a grow show what it is - a representation of a community or a culture manifest unto "custom toys", IMHO. Now comes the moment of truth (and you MUST pick one!) = What is your absolute fav of this series? (Yes I am evil muahahahaha)

MARIE UNG: Tough, yet evil question Andy. Haha. It’s really hard to pick from a lot of these, but if it boils down to it, I’d say Mr. George Lamontagne’s, “Mortifier Tentacle Flores”. This piece was the most well received, considering creativity, emphasis as well as the reaction that it gave the audience. I received a ton of compliments on the piece. In fact, I had a guy on opening night trying to pay double what it was worth, because he so desperately needed it.

Mortifier-Tentacle-Flores

TOYSREVIL: Any more curated event/s coming down the line from yourself? Would you ever want to do this again? And why? (or why "not?") lol

MARIE UNG: Yes there will be more curated events and world domination with a bucket of fried chicken. Muahahahahahaha. No seriously, I’m actually planning some local events for next year and hoping to collaborate with other artists and companies. I’d like to recruit, expose new and upcoming artist around the world, because I believe everyone deserves a chance. I think Houston needs more Custom Toy Shows and exposure to the movement.

(Image Credit: All shots by George Fadri of Matalino Studios)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK