Best Bub by Fail2Evolve for Munnyworld Megacontest

Artist Chris Rabbit better known as "Fail2Evolve" in the toy-world had won top placing in the BEST BUB Category of the Munnyworld Megacontest with his entry COTTICK THE DREAM FAERIE, and TOYSREVIL had a wee Q&A with the man (whose work you can find at http://xtfrcatastrophe.deviantart.com/) to find out the fantasy-inspirations of his work.

TOYSREVIL: How did the concept of Cottick the Dream Faerie come about? What is it's "toy-story"?

FAIL2EVOLVE: Cottick the Dream Faerie actually came about from a mix of necessity and folklore. Being constantly plagued by extremely vivd dreams and harboring a constant fascination with traditional Irish faerie tales led me to create an entity that fused the two ideas. I definitely also drew inspiration from "The Boon", a creature dreamed up by my favorite artist  Brian Froud, who based the creature heavily on the fylgia of norwegian folklore.

 So now Cottick, along with a few friends, guards my sleep and keeps me safe in the world of dreams.

FAIL2EVOLVE-COTTIE-BUB-01 FAIL2EVOLVE-COTTIE-BUB-02

TOYSREVIL: What do you think of your win? What was your first impression?

FAIL2EVOLVE: I was very shocked! I had been refreshing the munnyworld page a few dozen times a minute out of sheer nerdiness and didn't even notice that i had won in my haste to congratulate sergio on the grand prize. I only realized it after i went back to the winners page to see who else from the KR boards had won that Cottick had taken the prize for "Best Bub"

it's definitely a huge honor to be up there with all of the folks i admire, i just hope i can continue to impress with my little creations.

FAIL2EVOLVE-COTTIE-BUB-03

TOYSREVIL: You are getting very well known for your fantasy imagery and for your sculpting skills in this arena - what inspires you and your craft? And what can we expect from Fail2Evolve in the very near future?
       
FAIL2EVOLVE: Yikes! Well-known? (hides under the internet)

Thank you for the compliment! I'm most inspired by the work of other customizers, folklore, and mental specialness.

Nerviswr3k, Kevin Gosselin, F+, Fuller, Southerndrawl and Reactor88 (amongst many, many others) are constantly putting out the most mind-blowing customs, it's impossible not to need to create in an environment containing these titans.

Folklore, especially Irish and Native American mythology, is a huge source of inspiration as well (I'm half Irish, half Native American so i grew up with these stories).

And last (but certainly not least), I'm pretty nuts. Most people worry about that kind of thing, I chose a long time ago to let it work for me and I've never looked back (mostly because i'm afraid that something might be behind me)

FAIL2EVOLVE-COTTIE-BUB-04

FAIL2EVOLVE: There's a lot of really fun stuff I'm working on....aside from seeing a long overdue commissions list come to fruition, in the next month or so you're gonna see some more members of the Blackpaw tribe, a Dead Bunny that maybe ate too much acid, and i finally got my hands on a DIY Bambaboss from 3A (thanks nikejerk!) so that's coming up too. I was also recently invited to create a 20" Dunny for a show put on by KR, which will be my first 20"er (very excited)

Thanks for the interview andy! TRE Forever!

Chris Rabbit

[Additional images via mezzn]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK