A DeadEnders Q&A With Joe Scarano

Sub-Urban Gallery launched DEADENDERS - a solo show featuring canvas paintings and customed-toys by Joe Scarano (www.joescarano.com) and we had a little Q&A with Joe, as well feature event images from Big Kev's Geek Stuff (full-set viewable in full-browser screen by clicking here). As well, display item are listed for sale online via www.suburbanvinyl.com.

deadenders

TOYSREVIL: What is your own impression of your show? Why the name "DeadEnders"?
JOE SCARANO: My own impression was that as a whole this body of work certainly seems a bit grim. I do think there is a lot of humor in the work, a dark humor but there is some joy there.

I think the Flash piece really stands out for me, it's completely ridiculous but he seems so hopeful you can't help but cheer this character on.

I guess the name came from the dead end nature of the characters and the world they live in.

DEADENDERS-03 DEADENDERS-02

TOYSREVIL: No doubt the customs and paintings are done in a style that reflects your current artistic evolution - but are there any underlying themes in this particular series? (I'm looking at a very severe underlying morbidity, but that's just he ignorant me :p)
JOE SCARANO: I guess the one thing that ties all of these characters together is that they are lost in some way. Either they are lost in their own everyday world or they are floating away.

Actually not so ignorant! There is definitely some underlying morbidity. A lot of that comes from my recent family experiences with illness.

DEADENDERS-04 DEADENDERS-05
DEADENDERS-06

TOYSREVIL: What can we be expecting from Joe Scarano in the year to come?

JOE SCARANO: I have a couple of group shows coming up this year that I am really excited for, a few at G1988 in LA and Wizard Sleeve Toys in FL.

I may also be working on some toy projects as well, more to come as those develop. First I need a nap.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK