Interview with Andrew Bell (Part Two)

ANDFEW-BELL-INTERVIEW-PART-2

Since chatting about O-No-Sushis and Sashimis, as well his inspirations and creative process in our earlier Interview, Andrew has since stepped foot on our sunny shores (Welcome to Singapore, Andrew!)

Part Two focuses on Androids and other toys in Andrew's portfolio, and as well what he'll be up to in Singapore! And remember to mark this down in your diaries: Andrew will have a panel session at STGCC in Saturday August 20th (moderated by yours truly) from 3:30pm to 4:30pm for "Spotlight on Andrew Bell", so do check it out!


TOYSREVIL: From 'raw fish' to 'androids'. How did the Android creation come about?

ANDREW BELL: A friend of mine was one of the early developers on the Android project. When they were thinking of fun things to do with the property, he suggested to Google that I get involved to help them create a toy version.

MAKING-ANDROIDS
[Making-of Androids on DYZ Plastic-blog]
ANDROID-RUG

TOYSREVIL: It seems quite a no-brainer - but why make Androids into collectible figures? Does DYZ Plastic exist solely make products from the Androids-range? So far we've seen a Android-rug - is there anything else we should look forward to in the future?

ANDREW BELL: At first it was to be an internal promotion and for trade shows, but I convinced them to expand it and allow me to put together a blind box series that would also be available publically. A year or so and a visit to the Google offices later, the Android minis were born! No one knew how much demand there would be for figures of a mobile platform mascot, but obviously demand was much higher than we expected!

DYZPLASTIC has been around since 2004 and my first toy, Groob. It's the toy
/ collectible division of Dead Zebra, Inc. While DYZPLASTIC does a lot more than just Android figures, we're expanding our Android goodies in the future with another brand called Android Foundry.

ANDROIDS-SERIES
ANDROIDS-SERIES-2

TOYSREVIL: I was quite surprised the second series of Androids saw a trio of guest artists putting their mark on the Androids (in addition to yours) - and wondered of that was a unique happenstance only for that series? Or a sign of things to come for subsequent series? How did you manage to convince them to use the artists designs in the first place?

ANDREW BELL: Nope, it is something I hope to continue to do! Series 3 should have an even wider variety of artists. I was happy and proud to shepherd the original series into existence, but there are many great artists who can really give the Androids a personality. I'll still be doing  a few regular and special editions myself, it's too hard to resist! It wasn't hard to convince people to help out either, in case you haven't noticed it's fun to make toys (paying them doesn't hurt either)!

ANDROID-SPECIAL-EDITIONS
ANDROID-SUMMER-EDITIONS

TOYSREVIL: The Heroes and Villains Summer Editions were quite a surprise! Your earlier releases include the Halloween, Winter and Chinese New Year-themed specials - but they were released one at a time - but now, all four together? How did their execution come about?

ANDREW BELL: I was trying to come up with a design that would fit in well with the Summer months, there aren't many "themed" holidays around that time. I've been showing at Comic-Con every summer for 8 years, so I used that annual celebration of popular culture as inspiration for a small special edition series.

ANDREW-BELL-TOY-KING-WIN

TOYSREVIL: Congratulations in winning the "Fan Favourite" in the Designer Toy Awards (for your Androids) and even more importantly, this was a fan / public-voted award. How do you feel about winning now? How has anything changed for you since the win-announcement at SDCC?

ANDREW BELL: It was great! I was surprised to win that one because it is probably the most important one! I didn't even beg for votes or anything, ha ha. The party was fun, if a bit chaotic. I think it's a good lighthearted way to recognize the work of a lot of the people in our little industry. Nothing much has changed except for the cool trophy I have on my console table!

ANDREW-BELL-GIVER
ANDREW-BELL-GROOB-1 ANDREW-BELL-GROOB-2
ANDREW-BELL-ZLIKS

TOYSREVIL: There have been other toys you have released like The Giver, Zliks, Type 'A' and Glop, and the huggable Worrible - what can you tell us about them? And have their reception by fans been to your expectations?

ANDREW BELL: Most of these are directly from my imagination with no existing product or brand (like Android), so it is a little more worrying to put a lot of time and money into something that people may or may not like. Many of them are also self-produced, so I  have to put a lot of time and deal with a lot of problems before they ever get shown to anyone. Luckily all of my projects have been met with at least moderate success and acceptance! I love to see peoples faces the first time they pop a Zliks head off, or see a Giver's butt, or hug a Worrible.

ANDREW-BELL-GLOOB-TYPE-A
ANDREW-BELL-WORRIBLES

TOYSREVIL: Will you be bringing Worrible to Singapore? Intriguing to see your creations made into plush tho! Seeing it at your recent solo show at Rotofugi was such a treat! Boy could we do with a Worrible Pit here in SG!

ANDREW BELL: Unfortunately they are just too large to ship over on short notice, especially enough to fill an entire pit! We had about 100 in there! Maybe next year we can get a special sponsored pit!

Andrew-Bell-studio-lovetheend1 LOVE-THE-END-SHOW-01
[WIPs & Gallery Display for Andrew's solo show "Love The End" @ Rotofugi]
Andrew-Bell-studio-lovetheend2 LOVE-THE-END-SHOW-02

TOYSREVIL: In Asia, the predominant popularity of a creator is more possible thru his/her produced toys, but sometimes not wholly about his/her work in general beyond said toys. What do you feel about that? Are you the sum of all your toys?

ANDREW BELL: Asia, Japan especially, seems to have a bigger object or character collecting mentality than a specific "artist" collecting mentality. I can understand it and appreciate it, but I am very happy that a lot of my toy fans also love my drawings, paintings and sculptures. I'd say toys are more just a part of my wider visual vocabulary and not the thing that defines me completely.

TOYSREVIL: So what will you be doing for STGCC? What do you hope to achieve here at the convention?

Editor's Note: In addition the panel-spotlight feature. Andrew will also be officially signing at The Walk of Fame area, at these times:
August 20th Saturday = 1pm to 2pm
August 21st Sunday = 1pm to 2pm


ANDREW BELL: I will me meeting fans, doing some signing and selling a few goodies including a special Singapore Edition of the new O-No Sashimi toy that we were able to produce especially for the event. I hope to talk to many of the Singapore based fans who have been supporting me through the years!

Andrew-Bell-studio3

TOYSREVIL: What do you hope to do in Singapore? Is this tour first time to SG? What would you want to say to your fans reading this blog now?

ANDREW BELL: I will be working most of the time! I would be happy just attending the convention and going out with fun people after! Unfortunately I can't stay in SG for very long as I have to fly to China to visit some factories and check on some projects. I've never been to SG before, so if I don't get to look around this time it will give me an excuse to come back!

I'd like to thank the fans for their continued support for my work, no matter what medium it ends up in!

Personal Website: www.creaturesinmyhead.com
Twiiter: @deadzebra
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK