Toy-Review: Cap Duck from SHON

CAP-DUCK-01
CAP-DUCK-02 CAP-DUCK-03

"Cap Duck" is the creation of Taiwanese graffiti artist SHON and pays homage to the Donald Duck character from Disney, and utilizes a "Cap" for the head of the figure. As well a extremely cool aspect of the character's anatomy design, sees a spraycan for a "tail"!

Manufactured by Hong Kong's How2Work Toys, SHON has released a variety of colorways and color-combinations before, with this particular edition being the Black/Gray Edition.

Limited to 130 pieces for this colorway - my number is #036 printed clearly on a "Card of Authority" included in the bagged and header-card tagged packaging of the item. I like the bagged-style with no fancy boxes, personally, and as well this figure is robust enough to weather unnecessary knocks, methinks!

CAP-DUCK-04
CAP-DUCK-05

Articulation-wise, this 17cm tall figurine delightfully possesses movement at the arms/shoulders, legs and neck = great for posing! Both the spraycans in-hand and at the tail are non-removable tho, so do not go twisting anything else! A small part of me wishes either could be removed, for some customizing fun (perhaps) but am thankful it is as it is - as I am sure to lose it if removed!

Design-wise, this is a truly yummy character to be had, both stand-alone, and as a homage to the iconology of Disney characters. Truth be told, I'd rather have a "Donald" than a "Mickey", and I see no other toy worth having than this one.

Quality wise, the figure is decent-to-good and I like it that the design is kept straightup and clean, so there are less chances for me to pick at haha. Paint-app is decent with no rough bits peeking thru in my edition, so I am very thrilled to have mine!

CAP-DUCK-06

Another aspect why I love this figurine, is that it does not necessarily sit comfortably within the "Art Toy" realm, but instead relishes in the arena of "Pop Culture" with this icon fused with the subtle but evocative spirit of graffiti and of the urban streets, and that is pretty darn cool by me, IMHO.

Recent releases sees Cap Duck with "Mickey Mouse" ears, as well as a swish release in a wooden box! Nevertheless I am utterly happy with my edition :)

Check out his online store at http://shonsidestore.bigcartel.com, where currently the Black/Gray is available for US$89.90 (including shipping). A hefty chunk of change perhaps, but a sweet chance to own a slice of pop culture warped ever so slightly into the notion of underground sub-culture.

My thanks for Cap Duck, SHON!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK