About The Comics Xchange 2011 Experience

TOYSREVIL cyber-spoke with three individuals about what this year's Comic Xchange 2011 (CXC) meant to them - introducing Aravind Menon (Director at Jove Pater Media and as well one of the organizers for CXC), Shawn Siow (self-published artist @ www.drawslowly.com and exhibitor at CXC) and ALwyn Liang Jia Wei (attendee at CXC and as well a booth exhibitor at STGCC under his Elseworlds' brand).

cxc-qa-03

TOYSREVIL: What do you think about CXC this year? Or of a comicbook event such as this?

ALWYN LIANG: It's always good to see such events big or small. I hope there will be more such events in Singapore. A good mix of toys would be good too.

SHAWN SIOW: Overall the CXC may be a bit lacking in crowd, there's a kind of a nice atmosphere in it, allowing the crowd and artist the freedom and space for interaction in-between.

ARAVIND MENON: I think any comic event that sees the light of day is a success. I know it was nowhere near the crowd we wanted and it certainly wasn't a financial success, but having people turn up alone was pretty awesome. And the biggest thing that really heartens me was how most people knew each other. It's really awesome to know that we're such a tightly knit community and I believe that the secret to the industry's success lies in there. I'm more excited than disappointed. And even in my disappointment I recognize that it's because I have greater faith in this event and I know that there is more to come.

cxc-qa-01 cxc-qa-02

TOYSREVIL: As a first time event - what you you have loved to do, do differently, and wanted to do this CXC?

ARAVIND: Well, marketing and advertising are my 2 pet peeves in terms of this event. We greatly appreciate NAC's funds, but we were hitting a lot of road blocks due to a lack of budget and manpower. I'd have liked to specifically target a younger audience but it turns out that we chose the exam season. Disappointing, sure, but I like to think of how things would be different. And I know a lot of people dissed the location, but I can see why NAC has so much of faith in GAC and I share that faith too. Call me superstitious, but I think works of passion create imprints that are always energised. And I believe the old stomping grounds of LaSalle would certainly qualify.

ALWYN: I would love to see more local artists as well as overseas artists working together, like Rudy Ao and Ben Ang (our very own SG Marvel artist) doing a crossover. That will be one to look forward to lol.

SHAWN: It would be fun to have some short activities that can involve the artist and the crowd together, for the crowd to know more about the artist and vice versa.

IMG_3654 IMG_3657

TOYSREVIL: Would you look forward to attending CXC in 2012? Or in your case Shawn, have your own booth again?

SHAWN: Sure, would love to helm a booth again. [Images above are of Shawn's booth @ CXC 2011]

ALWYN: There are lots of potential in such a event. Hope to see more local artist and oversea artist coming together.

TOYSREVIL: What can folks look forward to in 2012? For CXC 2?

ARAVIND MENON: More! That's the best I can describe it. I have lotsa hopes and dreams for CXC #2/CXC '12 and I'm sure the rest do too. Marketing is a big part of those dreams and I'm very interested in knowing how NAC perceives this event and if they will continue their much valued support.

cxc-qa-04

- Most event images here via CXC Facebook]=.
- **"Just do note, that what I say here in no way represents my company, my colleagues, the event, my co-organisers or NAC." ~adds Aravind Menon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK