Bootlegging Yoshitomo Nara

I remember seeing the art of Yoshitomo Nara first before ever seeing a figurine made (back in 2007 by How2work), as his near-iconic style of illustration was well-known amongst folks in the design industry a while back. But I had never been able to obtain that piece back then (then again, I did not try too hard to anyways).

NARA-CLEA2009

Fast forward to 2009, when I was in Thailand for CLEA 2009, I witnessed first hand (altho not literally "in hand") the figurines of Nara-san on display at a booth at the event! And they looked really swell, and surreal, like the images seen before. A certain sense of non-reality softly exploding in the real world, staring back at you...

Then I saw this pink-hued figurine today at a lifestyle store in NEX, Serangoon. I recognized this figurine immediately, as it has been around for the past couple of years actually - in both pastel pink, and a baby blue colorway. Today, I decided to actually purchase it to be able to snap and share with you folks reading my humble blog.

YOSHI-NARA-BANK-01

The packaging was utilitarian, with a surprising cardboard-box printed with the paintings of Yoshitomo Nara, which gave it a semblance of authenticity - but in actual fact, it is a coin bank! I have not heard Nara-san had released any coin banks, so no doubt this is a bootleg of an artist's work.

YOSHI-NARA-BANK-02

The 'quality' of the make is pedestrian, with slightly okay paint-apps (a tad over-spilt in the arms area), but the visual is simply well done, IMHO. The fact that this could be perpetrated for thus long, shows the lack of respect for a creator's creations and copyright - but then again I am assuming there is no permission to reproduce this as a coin bank, and the creator is actually created in the box packaging tho One thing to note, there are no markings or description on the figurine itself, and priced at SGD$16 per, right off the bat you KNOW this is a product made for the masses! LOL

YOSHI-NARA-BANK-03

Have you folks seen bootleg 400% BE@RBRICKS made of vinyl? I just witnessed a bootleg custom-KAWS Companion-sized based on the visual of Frank Kozik's custom done for Toy Art Gallery. In the near future I will post images of a blank-white Mr Shoe from Michael Lau, for your viewing and collective "gasping"-pleasures.

I am of the notion that I would rather procure a bootleg toy, with the aim to customize it, for practice. Compared to actually purchasing an authentic piece and then customizing on it? It is beyond my financial ability, and sometimes I feel it is downright disrespectful to the initial toy-form and it's creator. But that is not necessarily written in 'stone', nor need it be enforced.

Nevertheless, you re advised to double-check whatever figures you purchase, especially if they are (1) too good to be true, and (2) look suspect. Down here in the East, larger toys get made into coin banks pretty rampantly, so be warned and stay sharp!

Now to customize this coin bank muahahahahaha
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK