R.I.P. Moebius

MOEBIUS-ART-01

I remember I felt pretty aghast when I first saw Moebius' art depicting American superheroes, in particular Silver Surfer,. I had thought: "How could such an auteur illustrate these comicbook heroes? How could he sell out like that?"

Having seen his illustrative work in earlier creator-driven content exuding the distinctive "European mood", it felt like he had stepped "down from his pedestal" … but alas I was such a narrow-minded person then … In time, I embraced such a notion from one of my beloved illustrators firmly etched in my mind, with his singular lines and imagery, and the ability to make a wordless sole pin-up emote with such resonance, IMHO. Moebius' art (along with a handful of practitioners) had shown me an alternative way to enjoy and embrace the illustrative arts. May you Rest On Peace, Moebius.

MOEBIUS-ART-02
"Jean Giraud, one of France's leading comics artists, has died in Paris at the age of 73 after a long illness. He drew for more than 50 years, under various names, but was most widely known as Moebius … His best known work in his native country was probably the Lieutenant Blueberry character but he also worked on the Silver Surfer with Stan Lee." ~www.bbc.co.uk
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK