1/6 Toys From Hollywood War Movies #throwbacktoythursday


Living in my own bubble world for most of my adult-life, I had been oblivious to real-life world conflicts, but for the faux glamor of "Hollywood feature films" and "toys" - chief of which was Ridley Scott's 2001 "Black Hawk Down", and the Dragon Model 12" articulated figures that came shortly afters. They doubled up as an entry to the "real"-world outside of my window of this little red dot of a country I live in, and beyond the onslaught of reality-television programming that would soon bludgeon the world.

Dragon Models releases specific to the Mogadishu conflict
in Somalia (all pics via www.dragon-models.com):

"Danny McKnight" Commander, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment,
Mogadishu, Somalia, 3-4 October, 1993 (Colonel)

"Gary Gordon" Task Force Ranger Sniper Team Leader, Delta Force,
Mogadishu, Somalia, 3-4 October, 1993 (Master Sergeant)

"Matt", Task Force Ranger, Mogadishu, Somalia, 3-4 October 1993

From the movie, I developed a desire to kitbash "Rangers" and "Delta" Soldiers - which was drenched in "irony", as I do not normally collect "military" themed 1/6th-scaled figures - which at that point in time, engulfed the entirety of my attention visa vis "toys" ("urban vinyls" came shortly afters tho LOL) … and there was something about "Desert Camo" that seemed more "accepting", compared to woodland greens anyways.



Understandably, these were but surface recognition and appreciation for the "toys", and is in no way being disrespectful to the understanding of said situation, and of the actual soldiers who were involved in said conflict. And while I do have a stance on that situation, this post is about "toy memories" in the first place.

I found myself kitbashing teams, designing dioramas (that were never built), and even embarking on a group-toy shot with fellow "1/6 Singters" (a name we coined from being collector from Singapore and were part of a forum "Singsters Warriors"). Funnily, for the group-shoot, I decided to kitbash "Skinnies" (derogatory term for the "enemy combatants to The Rangers+Deltas ;p).






(Images of photoshoot thanks to Kamel Liow)

Those were what I felt were the "golden era" of the 1/6 hobby, where Hong Kong-based brands like Dragon, BBI and even early Hot Toys thrived and provided collectors an economical "fix" for their action figure-desires, and alternatives to G.I. Joe, while giving it a huge "articulation"-boost! Well, "economical" compared to the "now" anyways, while "back then" we would balk at the at SGD$45-$60 price tags - now but a fond sliver of memory amidst the 3-figure priced offerings these days.

I still remember when actors' likeness was used for headsculpts, but bootlegged with obviously no license, and baring perhaps 70% of actual likeness too (varied from brand to brand), but because of the price point, it allowed average collector-folks to kitbash figures. While there was the "Josh Hartnett"-looking "Eversmann", there never was a "Hoot" made with a "Eric Bana" likeness …


(Above: Recent "D-Boy" release from PlayHouse)

These days, the likenesses are uncannily and eerily accurate ad true to real-life. And seems the notion of "play" now seems confined to changing figure's poses in display shelves, and maybe even sometimes, a snap or three of said display shelves packed with figures.

Other notable "war" movies with 1/6 include "Saving Private Ryan", "Platoon" and even "Enemy At The Gates". And the stigma of conflicts as "toys" has fallen favor with collectors perhaps, but for whomever is still kitbashing them and sharing on forums (which I no longer partaketh of for years now…), and I have not been kitbashing 1/6 for years now, at least since my Stroke in 2010…

But seems the past "returns" with a newly re-developed penchant for kitbashing 1/6th, with the recent UPMC2014 project leaving me with a thirst for more, so it seems the passion for the 1/6-hobby has reignited a fire in my 1/1-belly, which means you will be seeing a whole lot more in this blog soon(ish) … meanwhile, you could check out my earlier bashes on my blog for 1/6 or hobby dedicated Facebook page!

Cheers
Andy TOYSREVIL
(Used to be known as "Onesixx" on 1/6 forums ;p)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK