TOYSREVIL's Top 10 Art Toys Of 2013 (Part Two)


And you thought 10 Listed Toys would be enough to represent my joy for toys in 2013? Presenting to you now, PART TWO of TOYSREVIL's TOP 10 ART TOYS OF 2013! As before, the toys listed here are part of my own toy-collection, narcissistically so, and not necessarily the commentary of art toys today (that's another "fan-service" post for another time LOL). Meanwhile, let's get on with the TOYS!

NUMBER 20: HUCK GEE'S POST-APOCALYPSE DUNNY

This singular piece was gifted by Joshua for when I was in "J-Town" in 2013 for Star Wars Day Jakarta. Not long before this, I was so hyped up for the Post-Apocalypse Dunny series from Huck Gee x Kidrobot, I was actually considering to purchase an entire display box!

Fortunately a calmer head prevailed, and a harsh realization I could afford squat, and I resisted getting any single figure from this series (my way of coping with unrequited toy-desires lol), so this gift was a real treat!

I truly like that Kidrobot is - and has been - providing collectibles beyond a painted form, including accessories, which enhances it's "playability value", and that, I appreciate. Also this piece and listing serves as a stern reminder of not falling for my own hype LOL

NUMBER 19: DTK

What I truly admire about the DTK resin collectible from David The Killer, was that conceptually it represents a production of a collectible borne from his passion about collecting toys, and to share said passion. Commendable and admirable, methinks!

Produced by Fredy Chandra, I first saw this resin piece in person at SWDJKT, and was subsequently gifted post-Xmas by the creator himself . Soon we will have a closer and more in-depth look at this piece, designed and made in Jakarta!

NUMBER 18: TCON

TCON the Toyconosaurus is a mascot for the annual T-CON event in the United Kingdom, and is designed by The Hang Gang, and sculpted by Holly Stanway AKA A Little Stranger, and made by Unbox Industries. I am suitably impressed with this lil'vinyl T-Rex, simply because he literally can stand and balance on one leg, very well, in fact!

I like a toy-in-frozen-motion, and the thought of this adorable lil'angry dino going around stomping on stuff and people, is quite fun! And a perfect size too, methinks!

Managed to buy if off their online shop, along with the DIY Edition.

NUMBER 17: MINICEL

I've always liked the Ganmetall Celsius form from Rotobox, and when KusoVinyl announced the production of a squished-down "MiniCel", I squealed a little bit inside. Thanks to Stephen and Spencer, I now own both a Mini Celsius and MiniFah, and frankly had hella fun with these guys!

The body form gives me a feeling of the best of action figure anatomicals, mashed with super-deformed chibi-fied sensibilities, and that to me, is underrated. I wish more folks can get a hold of this and play with it for themselves!

NUMBER 16: VINYL CAVEY

(Hey) Cavey started toy-life as plush, and when it evolved into Vinyl Cavey. Now THAT, is a "toy dream" in the making! Congrats to Holly Stanway AKA A Little Stranger, creator of the toy(s)!

When I first learnt of the toy-volution, I admittedly had a tinge of "hesitance", as I felt it would have been a hard attempt at "adapting" the plush cutie visually (or perhaps even "too simple" an attempt) , but I was happily proven wrong. As I held the vinyl in hand, cradling the little thing with an astute twist in the chubby-waist/torso area, which really made the difference to the "life" of the collectible. I truly like it when a static toy seemed to have a 'life" in them :)

Then I got the flocked versions from Unbox, and I was completely SOLD. Then I saw the multicolored ones, and I am now a Vinyl-Cavey-Convert :)

NUMBER 15: KEEP WATCH LABBIT

Frank Kozik x Mishka's KEEP WATCH LABBIT has the distinct honor of being my first 7" Labbit added to my collection!

Gawking at it online was one thing, but holding in hand was the turning factor for me. The concept of a severed hand grabbing at a run-away eyeful of bunny, was pretty awesome to me, reminding me of Jim Phillips' Screaming Hand, but this be Labbit-Grabing-Hand LOL (More Pics Here on my Facebook)

NUMBER 14: Inc BEAR MINI

This piece nearly slipped my grasp at STGCC last year, when by the time I visited INSTINCTOY's booth, they were Sold Out of them! Then my sincere thanks to Indra, Wijaya and Eric of The Brotherhood of Toys, for clueing me on "another" batch of the figures, and I gladly got one off Hiroto's hands!

I've long been intrigued by the inc Bear, and this size of the Inc Bear Mini was a perfect fit for me!

NUMBER 13: F.F.F.F.FINGER5 SET

Thanks to Don Kratzer, I managed to score the "Fig-lab Finger Five Friends and Family" (F.F.F.F.F.) Set Version of Fig-Lab's Finger5, and I am happy like a lamb with them! Even the Super Sucklord piece came along with me overseas to Star Wars Day Jakarta, as a quasi-mascot for the TOYSREVIL-blog!

I've always liked the idea of the finger-fitting concept of the pieces, as well as the chibi-fied character designs = a fabulous crossover of art toy flavor and Japanese kaiju-genre sensibilities, such a sweet mix indeed, IMHO.

Check out more individual features on TOYSREVIL!

NUMBER 12: BABY HORNS

BABY HORNS by Hands In Factory of Korea is pretty underrated in the toy scene, as far as I'm concerned. While not necessarily made of vinyl, or resin, this plastic piece(s) of articulated figures are splendidly designed, and with splendid character design too!

If I had the means, I would collect each and every colorway and design.

NUMBER 11: PREY FOR ME

While being a fan of Godmachine's illustration, I was hesitant about a collectible from him, but after a moment's pause, I bit the bullet and bought both a WHITE and BLACK version of his PREY FOR ME online, and had never looked back since!

Possessing a haunting silence, looming with dread and the hope of destruction at hand, this 8-inch hand painted polystone statuette inspired such stories in my mind, it stands talon my list! (More 'Prey For Me' Images on my Facebook).
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK