#throwbacktoythursday: Collecting Michael Lau



I still remember the first time I came across a Michael Lau "urban vinyl" (which I did not know what genre it was called then), I was not too impressed with it, in fact, I had though it was appalling that a piece of plastic could cost so much, especially one that did not look like anything I have ever collected and played with! I put the piece down on the display, and left the skate shop in Peninsula Plaza without turning back.

The figure was Fatback, from Michael's "Crazy Children" series. The piece was priced at SGD$60.00. (Yes, I have told this story probably a gazillion times already, I'm sure … but today I have pictures! HAH).



Not too long later, I "properly" discovered Michael Lau - through his 1/6-scaled Gardener Galas actually - and tracked back his work, and clenched my fists hard at the figure I missed bringing home. By then, Crazy Children was numbering 9 and 10, and priced atSGD$120 per piece. After a while searching bay, I relented and bought CC 1-6 for over SGD$1K, the most I have ever paid for "toys" … on in this particular instance, I will term "collectibles", to make myself feel "better" LOL




My first ever ML purchase, was actually a grey Prototype LamDog System! Bought at a corner store on the third story of Beach Road Food Complex (the shop has since moved to Golden Mile Complex: Yellow Box Toys!), I had actually not removed the shrink-wrap of the figure, which came along with a book and sticker-sheet. Subsequently I bought a Gold LamDog, and then sold both of them, regretting it ever since.

As of now, I only have photographs as records (as well I've scored other ML toys of that era thru the years, hardly MIB, but still "charming" enough for me LOL)

It was only a short while later, when I bit the bullet and bought the original TATTOO from the same shop, AFTER purchasing the Bandai versions of Tattoo and Brian! LOL …. And until now, I regret not buying the OG BLACK TATTOO there as well, although it was well out of my price range.



OG Versus Parco/Bandai Tattoos

And I will ALWAYS remember that moment, after I had sold my three LMFs (Red, Black and Striped), when the wave of "regret" washed over me, as I saw him walking away in the opposite direction, holding that red plastic bag in his hand. I never did remember his face, but the plastic bag and it's contents will ALWAYS remind me of selling something I liked and should have kept for myself ...


I could go on for hours more, including my failed attempt at getting Tom*Kids, totally disregarding the A.B.C.s Crazy Children because I loathed the designs, the joy of buying direct from ML's SIX gallery when I was in Hong Kong (that only one time in my life, and I had to borrow money to do it too LOL), or of the constant inability of being able to procure Michael's toys when they are released.

Without a doubt, in the universe of collecting Lau's work, I am but a humble novice compared to the hardcore fans out there, and do not compare my collection to anyone's or boast of anything more than sharing my geekery. This disclaimer needs to be shared, for the fans of ML are a distinct community devoted to the proclaimed "Godfather of Hong Kong Vinyl", and is not to be disregarded, IMHO.

For sure I have HUGE gaps in my collection, including figures like Prodips' After Dark vinyls, to recent GARDEN(PALM)ERS to even 12" Crazy Michael and BBs. The list is pretty much endless, and filled with remorse, anguish, wonderment, and toy-dreams aplenty...



To be utterly fair, it is not all tears and whining (well, not much), as through the years I'd also had the good fortune to procure some gems, especially his Tokyo Tribe cross-over.

And while I use to complain that it had been "hard" to collect Michael Lau, but the truth is, as the years go by, more and more converts get pulled into the scene, which either means more product quantities are released, or simply more people collect what less quantities were made available.

I recently made an online purchase via www.crazysmiles.com as well, for I LOVE ZEX Gardener, so really - pending your own financial ability - collecting ML is not as "hard" these days as much as lack of "availability" was, when I started out over a decade ago.


Personally, it is not about how HUGE or extensive your collection may be, but what the collection means to YOU personally, and that you collect Michael Lau's works in the first place :)

Everyone has their own war stories to share, and battle scars to show. Everyone had the chance to live through the toy-hunt and come out on the other end, victorious, or in defeat. Early Michael Lau vinyls had been my main "toy grail" for many years, and has since diluted … but then again, "what you don't see, you don't miss" … so this article essentially opened up a pandora's box of toy-desires since forgotten!

What are YOUR stories of Collecting Michael Lau?

Happy Collecting, Folks!
Andy TOYSREVIL

"Michael Lau is an artist from Hong Kong who is known for his illustration and designer toy figures. Lau is widely credited as the founder of the urban vinyl style within the designer toy movement. His work has had a significant effect on toy manufacturers, as well as street culture, including artists and musicians, throughout the world. His style is particularly influential to Asian and American hip-hop and skateboarding culture. Lau has won several awards for his work, including four from the Hong Kong-based Philippe Charriol Foundation.

Lau started his career by displaying his art in small galleries in Hong Kong, where Lau worked as a window display designer, before searching for employment in the advertising industry. In 1997, Lau was hired to illustrate the cover art for the Anodize electronic music album. In 1998, he began the Gardener comic strip in East Touch magazine for which he is best known for. The characters featured in this comic strip were the basis for his first series of vinyl collectible figures. In 1999, his work became popular enough to attract the attention of the Sony corporation, who exclusively distributed a selection of his Gardener pieces in Asia. Lau signed a contract with Sony which lasted until 2003. During this time, Lau continued to work steadily, creating illustrations and vinyl figures in a graffiti-influenced style."
(Wikipedia)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK