#DailyDoodlers On TOYSREVIL: Yellow Mushmellow

WHAT: In anticipation of their first group exhibition "Detention Class" at Detention Barracks on July 11th, TOYSREVIL will spotlight artists from Band of Doodlers in this #DailyDoodlers blog-feature, with a lil'Q&A and doodles! Enjoy the read and RSVP on the Events Facebook Page!

TOYSREVIL: Please share with everyone reading; what is your doodling-nick, and who are you? And why do you do the things you do?

AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: Hello! I am Aida or better known as Yellow Mushmellow. I am most inspired by the wild spontaneity of a child’s imagination. I secretly never want to grow up if it means having to lose that.

I think my best work happens when I translate my everyday experiences and observations into illustrations, characters and things that I can make with my hands. I believe magic happens when you make something out of nothing.
This is a self-portrait depicting my state of life (or the lack thereof) during my final semester at University (part of a series called Documenting My Demise.) 


AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: Not much has changed since.

You may find more of my work at yellowmushmellow.com or follow my silly adventures at @yellowmushmellow on Instagram!

TOYSREVIL: What is your dayjob? Nevermind, why do you love to doodle? And what do you love to doodle?

AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: Having studied Graphic Design (Visual Communication) in University, doodling is a very much needed break from design grids and layout and having to be perfect. That spontaneity and letting your mind wander is necessary for creative ideas to happen, which can later be translated into more polished design work or not. I like to imagine it is productive procrastination.

My recent favourite things to doodle on are airplane barf bags. I love airplane rides because you are cut off from the world and are therefore entitled to XX hours off all responsibilities in life to do absolutely anything you want…….like make barf-bag monsters.  

I make it a challenge for myself to make silly characters that draw inspiration from my feelings at the moment or the places I visit.


AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: This is how happy I was on my grad trip.

(P.S. #barfbagmonster on instagram for more!)

TOYSREVIL: Which is the character you would most want to doodle, but have not yet? And why?

AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: I drew what I think everyone in Singapore can relate to at this time. (This image comes to mind everytime I step out of the house these days and my mind won't rest until I get it out. Phew!)


TOYSREVIL: What did you do wrong, to be sent to "Detention Class"? And what can we expect to see from you in "Detention Class"?

AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: I draw my problems more than I actually solve them.


AIDA / YELLOW MUSHMELLOW: Every artist involved in Detention Class is amazing and talented in their own individual ways but what you should be most excited about is seeing the accidental stories that happen when everyone's styles and points-of-view come together. What I love most about spontaneous collaboration in a group is the way you have to let loose and let the styles and subjects you're comfortable and familiar with change and adapt with everyone else's. It is humbling and inspiring all at once and we hope to share that wonderful experience with you at Detention Class. 

Artist info
Name: Aida / Yellow Mushmellow
Web: yellowmushmellow.com
Email: yellowmushmellow@gmail.com
Instagram: @yellowmushmellow
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK