Getting Familiar with Familiar Meatus: Making the TOYSREVIL-Edition Familiar Meatus


We've had a splendid interview with "Familiar Meatus"-creator GABRIEL "DIKO" TIONGSON before, today permit me to indulge in sharing with you folks, a little journey to the process and making-of for the TOYSREVIL-Edition of the resin collectible!

As much as I hype toys and collectibles, I am a novice when it comes to "designing toys" per se, even when a template is entrusted upon me, I look at it as literal as a blank canvas both in front of me and in my mind, even if nay for a moment! LOL


Knowing Gabby's initial concept for the figure, I had chosen instead to present a "literal" character, versus a conceptual piece. The color scheme was to be my blog-colors: RED, BLACK and a SILVER accent. Yes I am "cliched" like that, BUT the colors also mean "something" in the TOYSREVIL-created Universe. And in this universe, the TOYSREVIL-Edition "Familiar Meatus" is an all-rounded mechanic-savant! Able to fix any vehicle any machine anything with his "Master Fixer Hands" (swiped from The LEGO Movie's "master builder", so sue me lol) and intrepid mind! The only thing he has to keep at bay, is the growing brain within his noggin', with a life of it's own, and the pink-hands already breaking forth and most times causing more destruction than he is able to fix!



Aesthetic-wise, within finishing coloring up the template for my edition of "Familiar Meatus", it had instantaneous reminded me the workers in the sweepers found in the movie "Delicatessen", directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro ("The City of Lost Children", "Amélie") - which I absolutely adore, and you know what? I am absolutely okay with it. In a way, this piece also allowed me the luxury of pay homage to one of my favorite films, and to a slice of my "previous life" plying my trade in media.



With template sorted and sent, the result returned just in time for STGCC 2013, but due to the lack of time to hype it, I decided to hold the release back a bit longer. Subsequently, my Father had passed away, and the release was something I could not focus on … One year later, the pieces are in my hand now, and primed to be unleashed unto the world!

Come September 3rd @ 12noon (+8 GMT Singapore-time) the TOYSREVIL-Edition "Familiar Meatus" will be available for purchase here in the online shop. Standing approx 9 inches tall and 5 inches wide, the front to back measures around 6 inches (because of the extra pair of feet). Limited to only 4 pieces in this edition, each painted resin piece will be priced at only US$120 per (excluding shipping+handling costs). First come first served.

The item will come bagged with header-card by DIKO and come packaged in a box.

Do Note: TOYSREVIL Mailing List folks will have first dibs at them, and any left unspoken for will be listed for sale. Thank you for understanding.



**My sincere thanks again to Gabby for the opportunity! Check out more of DIKO's work via Tumblr / Instagram @DIKO_art / Twitter @DIKO_art / Facebook!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK