Emilio Subirá for *BYEBYE 2017 HELLO 2018* On TOYSREVIL



TOYSREVIL: How was 2017 for you? Share with us your most triumphant moment in2017. What did you find the most disappointed of 2017?
EMILIO SUBIRA: "Past year has been a good year for me. I have had the opportunity to improve new techniques and tools on my art. 2017 has been a year full of experiments and learning process what turned into a bunch of new characters, which is great. From my 2017 releases I have to highlight at least two of them. The first one is my sad balloon “I’m gonna burst”, which was an improvised character, an unexpected great success from a born of chance character . The other one is “Toy Soul”, a character that represent a lot of things to me and one of my favorite till date."
EMILIO SUBIRA: "2017 is also the year where I have taken a closer contact with the Spanish art toy scene, that is bigger than I could imagine, having the chance to meet a lot of these talented artists from all over the country. The most triumphant moment has been, without a shadow of doubt, to be part of the big art toy show; “A journey into the universe of art toys” at the international puppet museum (TOPIC), Tolosa, Basque country, Spain (still live till March). There I had the big honor to share space with a crowd of some of greatest artist in the art toy scene from all over the planet. I need to say thank you to the “Art Toy Gama” collective to make it happen.

I can't remember anything wrong there in 2017, if something disappointing happened I have erased it from my mind."

Sneak pic of my piece for “A journey into the Universe of Art Toys” Exhibition from 21th October 2017 until March 4 2018 organized by Tolosa Puppets International Center – Topic Museum-TOPIC MUSEUM @puppettopicmuseum An Art Toys Exhibition coordinated and leaded by the Topic Museum, curated by Fran Picazo, and organized and co-curated by the International Art Collective “Art Toy Gama”, in the city of Tolosa, province of #Guipuzcoa in the Basque Country, Spain #tolosaldea About 50 artists of different trends and disciplines, from up to 15 countries. ... #topicmuseum #puppetTOPICmuseum #arttoygama #arttoys #guggenheimbilbao #artofinstagram #artoninstagram #金魚 #zinemaldia #hifructose #artgallery #museodelprado #artofinstagram #juxtapoz #puppets #museumlover #marionettes #igersnavarra #igersespaña #igersmadrid ... #euskadigrafias #sansebastian #igerseuskadi #igerrak #turismo_euskadi #visiteuskadi #discoverspain #travelspain ... If you want ask any question about this Exhibition... Send DM or email to arttoygama@hotmail.com or through WhatsApp +34 615755231 (Sergio) ... More INFO and ALL PICS about Art Toys Exhibition: www.pinterest.com/arttoygama ... ART by @emilio_subira from Spain ...that will be part of Art Toys Exhibition

A post shared by Emilio Subira creatures (@emilio_subira) on


TOYSREVIL: What is your most favorite toy, or piece of art you've seen in 2017?
EMILIO SUBIRA: "There is a lot of cool pieces out there. it's difficult to choose just one and remember all of them. But, for example, one of the toys from last year that caught my attention was “Queen Hagopuss”, a very detailed vinyl monster full of tentacles by James Sizemore (Wonder Goblin). This is the kind of thing I like, crazy creatures."
(Featured above is Wondegoblin's "Queen Hagopuss - Taffytits" Edition, since listed as Sold Out)

TOYSREVIL: What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Any plans for your work, for the new year you can share with us?
EMILIO SUBIRA: "Sure, I would like to produce a sofuvi toy, it's not really a 2018 plan, it is more like kinda wish! haha, some day... but now I’m preparing my next resin character release entitled “Blah Blah Tongue and battle mouth”. I’m very excited about it, I’ve been working a lot in this character and I love it. You’ll see it pretty soon."
EMILIO SUBIRA: "To start the year I’m also preparing the exhibition “Smell Like Toy Spirit” at my home town with some of the most talented artist in my area. this show, placed in Seville's Montana colors shop (Spain), will feature a lot of works from: Wuz one, Javier Jimenez, Better days toys, Ghettoplastic and myself. 23rd February is the day, save the date!

This year I will be in a pair of conventions too. I’ll be at Toycon UK, sharing space with Ghettoplastic and turtle studio. I’ve been also invited to share some booth's space at 5 Points Festival in New York with “Mothership art gallery” and “Martian toys”, thus I have to say thanks them for their kind invitation. 

And there is another great event for me this year, an upcoming exhibition dedicated to the art toy movement, it will happen from the 6th of September to October 20th at San Sebastian, Spain. It will be a great collective show promoted by the art toy gama collective called ”Forever Toys” where I’ll have again the honor to share space with a lot of great artists and friends.

I hope this year will be a time to grow and face new challenges, and, of course, create a lot of new, better and crazier characters too!"
TOYSREVIL: Share with us, WHO you are and what you do?
EMILIO SUBIRA: "I guess I’m kind of a human who sculpts, paints and draws to take out my inner world what is a strange distorted vision of the outer world. I'm based in my home town, Seville (Spain). Visit my website or my instagram to have a look to my guts!"
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK